Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radish

Well, at least it's not parsnip!

I've got a glut in the garden. Is it worth my while to bother for radish wine? I was thinking of adding 3lb of pulped radish to a 1gal #1 mix and it might be mustardy-spicy but still pleasantly quaffable wine.

Don't shoot me all at once.

Cheers

Gord

.< speechless >
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

What have you got to lose...?!?! :-)

Comment

Rather you than me!
        ye Gods.

Though it is allegedly "good" for you (so is cod liver oil but I wouildn't make wine out of it

Have a look at this:
        The formula of the radish wine contains radish juice, glutinous rice, lonicera flower and chrysanthemum flower in ratio of 120 : 100 : 1 : 2; said radish wine has 16-22 percent alcohol, sweetness of 0.8-1.2 g/100 ml, and total acidity less than 0.55g/100 ml. Its production method includes the following steps: soaking rice, steaming rice, saccharinization, fermentation, press-filtering and canning. Said product is clear and transparent, possesses amber colour and palatable taste, and has the functions of clearing heat away, removing toxic material, moistening the ung, suppressing cough and nourishing the stomach, etc..
        found here ..
        http://www.chemyq.com/patentfmen/pt30/293274_46683.htm
        Last edited by mcblades; 18-06-2012, 11:00 AM.

http://markblades.com
        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Radish.... really? Is there a shortage of fermentable foods that might actually produce a good tasting beverage?

I keep thinking back to this old axiom: just because you can make wine out of something, doesn't mean you should.
          Last edited by NorthernWiner; 18-06-2012, 04:32 PM.
          Steve

Comment

I knew that one would cause a bit of a stir. I like Delmonteman's answer, so I'll give it a go. Plenty ordinary fermentables but I'd have buy them. I've got loads of radish and I'm the only one that likes them but not at the rate of half a pound of radish every day. I've tried pickling (Yuch!), so the next logical step was making booze from them!

Don't worry, I'm not entirely insane - the blackcurrant bush will soon be producing a nice heavy crop and there will also be raspberries. Strawberries never made it into the fermentation bucket, though. I think I need a small field for strawberries so I can get enough to brew and scoff

Comment

this assumes that the radish wine hasn't killed you first. Radishes are famous for their gusty guts properties. As a wine you'll likely end up in pieces!

http://markblades.com
              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

thank you everyone for giving me a good giggle this morning !!
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                X