Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varition to wine#1

Hi
    Just near the end of my first batch of wine#1, and the taste exceeds all expectiations!!! Many many thanks for all the effort in posting this recipe. Previous to this i tried one of the youngs 7 day kits, that cost 25 quid, and it was so not as good as this cheap wine#1.
    Anyone suggest a Substitute to the apple juice? Anyone tried pink grapefruit?
    Thanks

I don't know much but would suggest leave out the acid if you use grapefruit. Try anything, a bit of ageing sorts anything out in this wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Wreptile View Post
      Hi
      Just near the end of my first batch of wine#1, and the taste exceeds all expectiations!!! Many many thanks for all the effort in posting this recipe. Previous to this i tried one of the youngs 7 day kits, that cost 25 quid, and it was so not as good as this cheap wine#1.
      Anyone suggest a Substitute to the apple juice? Anyone tried pink grapefruit?
      Thanks
      Yes, I tried pink grapefruit eons ago.
      I used Tesco pink grapefruit juice, with red grape juice, which helped with the pinkieness
      Because grapefruit is quite pulpy, I also added a teaspoon of pectolase per gallon
      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Originally posted by spritzer View Post
        Yes, I tried pink grapefruit eons ago.
        I used Tesco pink grapefruit juice, with red grape juice, which helped with the pinkieness
        Because grapefruit is quite pulpy, I also added a teaspoon of pectolase per gallon
        And how did it turn out? Do you reccommend it?

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
          And how did it turn out? Do you reccommend it?
          I made it when I first restarted wine making, about 4 years ago, and didn't really have the patience to let it age.
          It definately needed a tad backsweetening if I remember correctly, and I put a sweetex tablet in a bottle whenever I opened one
          I did make a few batches back then.
          I would definately make it again, and back sweeten properly next time.

Comment

I would definately make it again, and back sweeten properly next time.
            Sounds interesting, I think I'll follow your lead on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon View Post
              Sounds interesting, I think I'll follow your lead on this one.
              I would "try" to let it age next time I do it too

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

To make this wine a little sweeter (only slightly), should i just add a bit of sugar at the end before bottling?

Also, to make it a bit more fruity tasting, should i add more grape jiuce at the beginning, or add some juice at the end before bottling?

Comment

I would "try" to let it age next time I do it too
                  I always "Try" to let them age, never that successfull though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wreptile View Post
                    Thanks for the advice.

To make this wine a little sweeter (only slightly), should i just add a bit of sugar at the end before bottling?

Also, to make it a bit more fruity tasting, should i add more grape jiuce at the beginning, or add some juice at the end before bottling?

You can add sugar or grape juice provided you have stabilised with sulphite & sorbate, it is best though to sweeten in a demijohn and leave a week or so before bottling to ensure that a second ferment doesn't kick in.
                    Discount Home Brew Supplies
                    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                      You can add sugar or grape juice provided you have stabilised with sulphite & sorbate, it is best though to sweeten in a demijohn and leave a week or so before bottling to ensure that a second ferment doesn't kick in.
                      ..and better still - sweeten with something that doesn't ferment
                      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                      X