Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphiting frozen fruit?

Hi
    I've got several pounds of elderberry and bramble in the freezer from last year that i want to clear out before this years crop is ready for picking. I've had some good results with different combos of these over the last few years, so want to up production this year, hence the clear out!
    I've always always sulphited the fruit first but my question is as the title says really, do you still need to if the fruit has been frozen first?
    Thanks

I do.

The fruit takes time to thaw, and the sulphite should protect it during this time.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I always do...better safe than sorry.
      Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
      Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
      Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Originally posted by Emeraldclaire View Post
        I always do...better safe than sorry.
        Just be careful not to overdo it! else this can lead to stuck fermentations.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I always use the correct amount per lb of fruit, and leave 24 hours before adding the yeast.
          Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
          Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
          Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Rule of thumb: use your own judgment. If you know that the fruit didn't sit around for any length of time before being frozen, then you could probably skip the sulphite. It also depends on the type of fruit. For example, I always have a hard time getting blueberries to begin fermenting because they contain a natural antifungal compound. So I wouldn't add sulphite in that instance, either.

However, I agree that if there's any concern whatsoever, it's better to be safe than sorry.
            Steve

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone, better to be safe than sorry then and will do as I always do and sulphite for 24 hours while defrosting as I can't remember how long they were sat about from picking to actually getting round to getting the afro comb out (love that job...not!) and into the freezer.

Comment

Working...
              X