Prepared my first WoW as per intructions,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ange View Post
    So am I, Rob. What I WASN'T prepared for though, is how long it takes to do this! Today, starting about 10:00 I've: Racked & de-gassed 3 demis, and started 2 WoWs. I prepared dinner, we ate dinner, and I'm JUST finishing up now. I think what I'll need to do is, put aside perhaps 1 day each week dedicated to just doing this - a Brew day. Once I've got a reasonable stock of Wine though, I can ease up and just keep a demi or 3 on the go.

OR... doesn't it work like this???

Thanks for your help,

Ange
    x
    Nope!!! I've been busy for a year building up stocks for the cellar and I've always got five 5 gallon fermenters on the go at various stages. At the moment I've got two 5 gallon kits fermenting a 5 gallon wine number 1 variant fermenting two 5 gallon wine number ones (one of them is a rose) clearing they'll be filtered and bottled over the week end and a 5 gallon red doing 20 days of oaking filtering and bottling that on Tuesday. Welcome to wine making.
    Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
      Nope!!! I've been busy for a year building up stocks for the cellar and I've always got five 5 gallon fermenters on the go at various stages. At the moment I've got two 5 gallon kits fermenting a 5 gallon wine number 1 variant fermenting two 5 gallon wine number ones (one of them is a rose) clearing they'll be filtered and bottled over the week end and a 5 gallon red doing 20 days of oaking filtering and bottling that on Tuesday. Welcome to wine making.
      OH GOOD GRIEF.....

A
      x
      Last edited by NorthernWiner; 10-08-2012, 02:18 PM. Reason: removed difficult to read text formatting

Comment

Oh Dear! Has summat gone wrong? The 2 WoWs I started on 7th (4 days ago), fermentation started within 3 hours, and the initial *lava-lamp effect* had subsided, one of them is hardly bubbling at all. Both have slowed a lot, the one almost stopped has a LOT of sediment in the bottom - over an inch's worth! Has it all gone wrong, or should I be more patient??

Ange
        x
        Last edited by Rich; 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

More patient, yes.

Also 'stopped fermenting' is useless without SG readings. What did they start at, and what are they at now?

Good to see you're enjoying it.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
            More patient, yes.

Also 'stopped fermenting' is useless without SG readings. What did they start at, and what are they at now?

Good to see you're enjoying it.

Rich
            Morning Rich, thank you.

1.068 and 1.082, topped up with water now *calmer*, but haven't taken another Hydrom test yet

Should I also add tannin & pectolase, or os ot too late for that?

Ange
            x

Comment

Originally posted by Ange View Post
              Morning Rich, thank you.

1.068 and 1.082, topped up with water now *calmer*, but haven't taken another Hydrom test yet

Should I also add tannin & pectolase, or os ot too late for that?

Ange
              x
              Hi Rich,
              Just taken SG - the 1.068 is now: 994
              the 1.082 is now: 992.

Have added both Pectolase and Tannin - bit frothy around the top but not too bad.

And yes, I AM enjoying this... it's a bit like Science lessons!!

Ange
              x

Comment

Originally posted by Ange;90908[I
                I AM enjoying this... it's a bit like Science lessons!![/I]
                Except it's more fun and you cn drink the results!!

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

at 0.994 and 0.992 they are nigh on finished I'd say. Leave them alone for another couple of days then recheck.

You may want to consider somewhere slightly cooler (not much though) for the next batch.

What yeast are you using for them?

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
                    at 0.994 and 0.992 they are nigh on finished I'd say. Leave them alone for another couple of days then recheck.

You may want to consider somewhere slightly cooler (not much though) for the next batch.

What yeast are you using for them?

Rich, they CAN'T be finished!! I only started them 4 DAYS ago!! Yeast is Richie's Wine yeast. That's all I have. There is LOADS of sediment at the bottom, one has 2cm the other 3cm. None of the other wines I've made had anything like this. I'll prob have to back sweeten also as I think they're gonna be too dry.

They ARE both still bubbling, once every 4 - 6 seconds each.

Ange
                    x
                    Last edited by Ange; 11-08-2012, 03:26 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Deep breaths ... calm down .... relax .

All sounds OK to me.

Rich said 'nigh on finished' (i.e. they are close to finishing).

As Rich says, check the SG in a few days and compare to today's readings. If the SG has dropped, it is still fermenting. In that case, leave a few more days and check again. Keep doing that until the SG is constant.

Don't panic about dryness at this stage. As per your last wine, when you have stabilised it, wait a while and see how it smooths out before sweetening.

I know you are keen to get these wines bottled and drunk, but rushing it now might invalidate all the hard work you have put in so far.

Sound like you need more DJs. I think we have mentioned plastic 5l supermarket water bottles before; Freecycle is a good source of DJs, although at this time of year people start to hoard them in anticipation of the forthcoming autumn.

Try to get along to Grapefest - I'm sure between us we can give you some intensive training
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

You're into mind-reading now? yes, I DO need more DJs!! Was lookin' on flebay last night, a few good deals but too far to collect from. More'll turn up, I'm sure. This is why the impatience, I need to free up some currently in use. Those PET DJs.... I just don't fancy 'em, ya know? Bit like buying wine (and I've seen them!!) in those plastic, (what looks like) squash bottles. Nasty.

So - these WoWs can finish fermenting within a week, can they? Just had a look, (up early as out on a Dig today) and although not bubbling that much (through airlock) there are plenty of bubbles up the side of the DJs, so perhaps they've got a good few days yet.

I've read that no two wines, whether WoWs or summat else, will perform/taste exactly the same. I'm finding it all quite exciting, with (hopefully) something drinkable at the end. As I mentioned before, it's a bit like Science lessons at school...(geee... now THAT was a long time ago)

Ange
                        x

Comment

Working...
                        X