Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing sediment back in before clearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixing sediment back in before clearing?

Comparing instructions between Kenridge and Winexpert kits, Winexpert says to mix sediment back in before clearing while Kenridge says to rack off. Winexpert even says that you may never fully clear if you don't mix in the sediment and the kit was designed that way. Both kits seem to have the ingredients. What's the consensus?

I always rack before clearing, but I rarely use the finings as I age for extended periods and so gravity takes care of it.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

There is a school of thought that says mixing the spend yeast hulls back in aids clearing, hence the difference of opinion.
      Further there is a school of thought that the process of 'batonnage' stirring your lees, (with a special french paddle of course) improves red wines' complexity.
      Me I use neither - 100% with Bob on this - I only use gravity for clearing. But then it is easier with grape wines, red in particular and larger volumes.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I have made around a dozen Winexpert kits and a couple of Kenridge kits, and, when I have added fininfgs, I have always followed their respective instructions and never encountered a problem. More recently I have left the reds to do their own thing without finings (nor, in most cases, sorbate).
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
          Comparing instructions between Kenridge and Winexpert kits, Winexpert says to mix sediment back in before clearing while Kenridge says to rack off. Winexpert even says that you may never fully clear if you don't mix in the sediment and the kit was designed that way. Both kits seem to have the ingredients. What's the consensus?
          One comment I have heard is "if you have to ask, follow the instructions".

I have made a LOT of Vineco (KenRidge) kits, and only a few Winexpert kits. I follow the Vineco way, even for Winexpert. I've had no problems with clearing, even whites. But I usually allow much more time for nature and gravity to assist.

Steve
          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Originally posted by krakowmike View Post
            Comparing instructions between Kenridge and Winexpert kits, Winexpert says to mix sediment back in before clearing while Kenridge says to rack off.
            Mike, the best advice is to follow the kit instructions. I've never made a Vineco (Kenridge) kit, but I can tell you the WHY behind Winexpert's instructions.

Remember when you first mixed up the Winexpert kit and the instructions had you add that packet of bentonite? This is what's in the sediment that they want you to mix back in. Bentonite is a clearing agent. It contains minerals that carry a negative electrical charge. Because of this, it attracts positively charged proteins in your wine. Most organic proteins are positively charged. These kits also contain a packet of chitosan (or isinglass with white kits), which carries a positive electrical charge and attracts any negatively charged non-organic sediment. The heavier bentonite also attracts the chitosan/isinglass and drags it to the bottom of the carboy as it settles out. The interaction between the oppositely charged compounds is what causes the wine to clear.

All two-part clearing products work the same way. One of the products carries a positive charge, while the other is negative.

If you follow this link, you'll find a very good explanation on clearing agents, as well as many other WHATs and WHYs of kit winemaking.
            Steve

Comment

Thank you Steve, as a beginner I found your link very helpful

Regards Alan
              Last edited by bigshug1960; 13-08-2012, 09:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Great explanation, thanks Steve.

Comment

Thanks Steve, that explains it well. Good link as well!

Comment

Working...
                  X