Carboy Bungs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carboy Bungs

I've recently bought three of the 23 ltr PET carboys and I also got three bored rubber bungs to fit them. I intend using these for bulk storage and I'm a bit worried about the strong rubber smell of the bungs. I tried soaking them in steriliser (5% SO2 solution) for a few days but they still smell very strong and I'm worried they may taint the wine.
    I've noticed a comment on the Hop Shop web site recommending a bored laboratory grade bung which they say fits the 23 ltr straight sided glass carboy. This is actually much cheaper than the one's I bought but I don't want to buy more unecessarily.
    Are my rubber bungs safe to use for long term bulk storage? Does anyone know if the laboratory grade bungs will fit the 23 ltr PET carboy?
    And should I even be using bungs with airlocks for bulk storage - I notice on Jack Kellers site a suggestion to use sanitised freezer bags held on with rubber bands.
    MTIA
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

I haven't had any problems with rubber bungs (mine are off-white). You might get a whiff of rubber when you open the carboy, but that's it - the wine is fine.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I have never had a problem. You do tend to find it is a new-ness thing that passes.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

That's OK then. Thanks guys.
        Cheers,
        Dave.
        If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
        But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Working...
        X