Sterelizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterelizing

With my kit i got one of those wine box bags which i will use untill i can collect enougth bottels
    Will i need to sterelize it before use
    Brett

Yes.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

Don't forget, there's a world of difference between sterilising and sanitising.

Most of us certainly don't have access to "proper" sterilising kit.

What you can do, is to make CJJ's home brew sanitiser and keep it in a hand spray.

Presuming the box bag is new/unused, the liquid is 5 crushed campden tablets and 1 teaspoon of citric acid dissolved in a pint of water. Just pour some of the liquid in, swill it around so its well covered. Pour out the excess, leave it for 5 minutes, them squeeze out the last bit of excess liquid and it should be fine for at least 30 minutes.
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Do not leave sulphite in 'bag in an box' bags - it will strip the silver lining off!

If you want a 'keep fresh' use cheapo vodka or a basic 20% alcohol.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Do not leave sulphite in 'bag in an box' bags - it will strip the silver lining off!

If you want a 'keep fresh' use cheapo vodka or a basic 20% alcohol.
          I was alluding to putting some in for 4 or 5 minutes for "contact time", then removing it (not leaving it in the bag long enough to remove the silvering on the bag) and filling it with the wine/mead etc, so just enough to sanitise it. Of course, cheap vodka is better - though probably more expensive.....
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
            Don't forget, there's a world of difference between sterilising and sanitising.
            Absolutely correct.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
              I was alluding to putting some in for 4 or 5 minutes for "contact time", then removing it (not leaving it in the bag long enough to remove the silvering on the bag) and filling it with the wine/mead etc, so just enough to sanitise it. Of course, cheap vodka is better - though probably more expensive.....
              Absolutely agreed. There is a bit of a following for 'keeping it fresh' (10% solution and all that) and I thought it worthy of mention this doesn't work with bag-in-a-box (done it - broke it). Cheap vodka ! or turbo yeast sugar wine @ circa 20%
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
              X