Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topping up fermenting barrel

Hi
    I am useing wine kits a the moment and with it is a fermenting barrel with the firt batch 15 bottels ther was quite a lot of space between the must and the airlock i have been advised by (Bob on this forum) to use ballast so on my 2nd go i am useing small sterelized stones but is takeing quite a lot.
    So i think i will use also some grape juice
    (this is free from preservatives and supposedly not from concentrate)
    What i really need to know is should i use extra yeast and nutrients other than that supplied with the kit and if so how much.
    I will be adding 4,5 liters of extra grape juice (1 gallon) the juice is white grape i dont think i will need extea sugar as the juice should have the right ammount of it.
    But if i do need more sugar please let me know.
    Thanks
    Brett
    Last edited by andrews40; 06-09-2012, 01:48 PM.

Your hydrometer will let you know how much sugar you may or may not need.

4.5 litres is a lot to add.....

what capacity is the fermenter you are using and what volume is the kit?

(the grape juice will likely be around the SG 1.060 mark)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi again Bob
      The fermenter is 30 liters (6.6 gal ) the wine kit is 22.5 liters (5 gals ) then 4.5 liters juice = 27 liters.
      I will make up the rest of the space useing marbels as you suggested.
      Brett......

Comment

Thats a lot of marbles (3 litres worth). 30 litres sounds like a primary type fermenter. Is it a youngs barrel type? If so then it is probably cheaper to buy a better bottle secondary fermentation container like the ones Karl sells here.

Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

We may be at cross purposes here ....so can I ask.....Is this a bucket you are using with a lid and airlock?

if so that is a primary fermenting vessel and the wine will need to be racked to a secondary fermenting vessel which is either glass or plastic, but is 23 klitres in size

regards
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I moved this thread to here so the new winemakers section doesnt become cluttered

this is the right plkace for questions

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
            X