DIY Oak Staves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Oak Staves

I'm keen to get a bit of oak into my maturing wines but don't really want to go down the oak barrel route. But oak staves don't seem to be available in this country and oak chips don't seem to be as effective (from what I've read).

Could I use staves from an old wine barrel, cut down to fit into the neck of a carboy and toasted in the oven?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

You can, but you would also want to first run them through a plane to remove any old barrel dregs before toasting. It might be less work to purchase new air-dried white oak and toast it. You'd get more oak flavor and not have to worry about brettanomyces and other wine-unfriendly bacteria that might be taking up residence in the wood. Just don't buy anything meant for building or making furniture, as most of it has been treated with chemicals.

Last year a friend of mine bought several packages of white oak planks that are designed for grilling fish, and toasted them over a wood fire. I think he paid around £4-5 for a package containing two good sized planks. He seemed very happy with the results.
    Steve

Comment

I did this last year. I split up a bit of tree ( so I knew it would be chemical free)
      Read my exploits here. This will make your oven go bang. Serious.
      This will also make your house smell like a bonfire.
      SHMBO will not be happy .. sorry got that wrong SHMBO was not happy!

Use a barbecue.

Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by SleepyDave View Post
        oak chips don't seem to be as effective (from what I've read).
        While sorting out your white oak as Steve suggests, for sheer ease of use, I would give oak chips a go. I have found them to be effective enough. Karl at Hobby Wine Supplies sells a good range : http://www.hobbywinesupplies.co.uk/. American/French in medium or heavy toast. They are also chips rather than sawdust which is very effective but a PITA to use.
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Just a thought how much are you doing ? If it is just a small quantity it is much cheaper and safer to get them from Karl.
          I only decided to do my own because I wanted 4 kg.
          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 14-09-2012, 04:13 PM.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks guys,

I suppose used wine barrels are going to have lost a lot of their flavour anyway. Unused oak, properly seasoned, sounds like a better idea. I've got a couple of ideas to work on.
            Meanwhile, chips order already winging it's way to Karl.
            Cheers,
            Dave.
            If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
            But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Hi All

While looking back over the threads I noticed this topic come up a few times and thought I'd add this little advice is you are going to make your own oak stave etc.

If you source your wood from the wild or you dry it your self make sure that it doesn't rest on the ground as this could be a source for the wood to gain a fungus infection or what is more commonly called Spalting, this is where to wood develops black line alone the grain as shown here:

While this is desirable for wood turners the effect on health is bad. The spores from the fungus are resilient and when ingested or breathed in can rehydrate and become active again, which is bad for us humans.

Mark..............

Comment

good call thank you

Comment

I visited a wood turning exhibition, bought 2 lengths of oak that were 1" square and 8" long.
                  Ran each through a band saw to make 4 of 1/2" square, then ran the bandsaw up about 2/3 of the length twice to make the lower section have a cross cut into it. Simply to give a bit more area.
                  Tied a strong thread around each 8" length and dropped them into a DJ with the thread hanging out. Drill a hole and feed the thread through that would be better.

Suspect from reading that I could use each about 3 times.
                  And I have not a clue how it will work out or if I will be able to tell any difference at all.
                  Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Comment

Working...
                  X