No announcement yet.

Home made wine filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fancy having a go at making one of these.

Do you think that this pump would be powerful enough?

http://shop.solarproject.co.uk/sp202...3230-p-10.html

Many thanks.

Comment

This is a tricky one, but I think NO. this is not really a powerful enough question its a more a 'type of pump' question

here is my thinking ...

Impeller pumps are very good at increasing flow but do not create pressure (they just cavitate)

Diaphragm pumps do generate pressure but are not used for high flow applications.

Filtering systems tend to work on vacuum. (Enolmatic for one) I am sure the reason for that is they eventually block up as the flow is reduced, and that is when the pump owns it to keep.

IMO you would be better off with a small eBay special vacuum pump

PS - I think Karl had some

PPS - I am sure this is how NorthernWiner set it up.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Again, thanks for the reply. Yes, having thought about it, I'm sure what you say is spot on.

I'll probably go for this.

Comment

Originally posted by iridium View Post
          Again, thanks for the reply. Yes, having thought about it, I'm sure what you say is spot on.

I'll probably go for this.
          Jeez that ought to do it !!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Is there any chance of having a slow start ?

What about these. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-Hg-12V-...item3ccd375f0a

PS does Karl (Duff beer) still have a vacuum pumps ??
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            Is there any chance of having a slow start ?
            Should be simple enough to set up a pulse width modulation controller for it...

Comment

IF you already have one of these go fo it. But if you are spending money buy the right thing in the first place.
              A 1/2 decent vacuum pump will grow with you.
              Today filtering tomorrow racking and transfer, next year sulphite testing - perhaps even bottling. Which brings me onto - and I honestly can't believe I am saying this - bite the bullet and get an Enolmatic. ...and no you never seen them secondhand, 'cos people can't baer to be without them once they have.

You get a free vacuum pump with the bottler and you can add this filter to it. Italians really can make pumps!!

Alternatively you can mess about with bits of pipe, clips, fittings, various pumps - make a mess, loose time and wine and it would have been cheaper to buy it in the first place.

PS this comes from a certified penny pitching tinkerer!
              PPS I think a impeller pump is the wrong way to go, but you can always put it on the shelf for some later project.
              PPPS I have this very pump and I have never found a winemaking use for it.

go on !!
              go on !! go on !!
              Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 03-03-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                I bought one of the 20"hg pumps from the same supplier, it has been ok for vacuum racking so far may be a bit slow if trying to pull to much vacuum.

Italians really can make pumps!!
                So how come the water pump on my Alfa went pop after only 25,000miles taking the timing belt out with it too!!!
                Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

So how come the water pump on my Alfa went pop after only 25,000miles taking the timing belt out with it too!!!

Ouch! Did it take the valves and/or cylinder head/cam at the same time? Could be very expensive. Bad news (as in design) using the timing drive belt for other duties, but most car manufacturers seem to ignore the risk of expensive breakdowns for that little bit of running efficiency! I run diesels and there is no margin of error when the cam belt gives out.

Comment

Luckily it was all sorted under warrenty, complete new cylinder head
                    Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

Now the thread topic: A perfect vacuum pump is only ever going to produce 14 psi (old money) or one bar pressure differential (approx 30 inches or 760mm of Hg). If you need to speed filtering up a pressure system can produce far more 'delta P'. Pressure or vacuum can be attenuated with relief valves or circulation paths (orifice plates, for instance) but a low pressure differental pump (vac or pressure) will never be better than the original spec. So requirements need to be considered at the design stage as it will be expensive to change later.

RAB

Comment

Originally posted by Abervin View Post
                        Good news about the warranty!! Lovely lovely cars - but you know everything is going to drop off

Comment

Originally posted by oliver90owner View Post
                          Now the thread topic: A perfect vacuum pump is only ever going to produce 14 psi (old money) or one bar pressure differential (approx 30 inches or 760mm of Hg). If you need to speed filtering up a pressure system can produce far more 'delta P'. Pressure or vacuum can be attenuated with relief valves or circulation paths (orifice plates, for instance) but a low pressure differental pump (vac or pressure) will never be better than the original spec. So requirements need to be considered at the design stage as it will be expensive to change later.

RAB
                          Spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                            Are you talking about something like the setup in the photo below? This is how I filter most of my wines. I have a vacuum pump with an overflow rig that pulls wine from one carboy through a cartridge type filter and into a receiving carboy. It works like a charm, however, when using very tight filters (0.25, 0.45 micron), it can take some time to filter even 5 gallons.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2977[/ATTACH]
                            Hi Steve - just resurrecting this old post as I have come by a water filter housing. Does your pump maintain a specific pressure or does it stay permanently on throughout the whole process. Secondly do you run the filters through with water first or straight in with the wine. Final question. Do you dispose of the filters after 1 session of racking?
                            Have been trying this again this evening. Most of the water comes through but once the open container is emptied the filter remains full and I get a lot of bubbling in the receiving container (like blowing through a straw). Just lots of air being pulled through into the wine (although testing with water). I have checked all the connections on the vacuum side and they are tight. Any ideas?
                            Could it be the pump just isn't man enough? Everything else is identical to the setup in the photo except that.
                            The pump racks under vacuum without the filter OK but in fairness not a lot of suction at the end of the tube. Can anyone give me a tried and tested typical pump spec?

Thanks
                            Last edited by SiSandrine; 03-10-2014, 09:42 PM. Reason: Added description of attempt.
                            Simon
                            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Gravity and the fact both of the ports are at the top.

When liquid was coming in, it flowed to the base of the housing (gravity) and is sucked through the filter membrane. The air pocket is maintained at a negative pressure and is probably a collection of dissolved CO2 adding to it and any air bleeding out during startup.

When the liquid is gone, air comes through. Air is not affected by gravity and finds the easiest route - straight across the top, from one port to another. Leaving the filter body holding the remaining wine and bubbling in the receiver.

Filters are regularly reused. Once the wine is finished. Reverse the flow and flush with water until clean.

Comment

Thanks Brian. That was my thought too but I tried turning the filter upside down and same effect. I am thinking it must be that the suction in the pump just isn't strong enough. There are vids on Youtube of this working and emptying the filter as well. Besides my pump isn't all nice and shiny.
                                Simon
                                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
                                X