freeze/ thaw white wine grape pressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freeze/ thaw white wine grape pressing

I have some white wine to make (yes I know - enough already) in my defense it is not for me.

Has anybody tried, freezing the bunches whole, thawing them and then putting them straight into the press.
    This method I found to be brilliant for apples I wondered if the same was true for grapes??

Has anybody tried this? Has anybody got any thoughts about it?
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 02-10-2012, 12:47 PM.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

I would not expect it to make a great deal of difference with grapes, they are pretty soft to start with.

With apples yes as the ice crystals form and repture the cells in the apple flesh, so when defrosted they are mushier and have lost their hardness so will be easier to get juice out of.

Freezing the grapes will do similar and they would be easier to press but as said they are not exactly hard in the first place.

Comment

I am doing similar with my grapes this year from my garden, I mean vinyard

Some have started to ripen already Brix 19 so I am picking individual grapes and freezing them whilst the remainder ripen. At least doing it this way I should beat the birds to most of them.

Comment

Working...
      X