Gervin's Yeast's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gervin's Yeast's

Do they all produce 1 gallon of foam to every gallon of must ?

This is the third different type tried and every one has erupted the instant it is stirred.

This one at least sits with a slight foam present until wooden spoon is applied. a previous one looked as if the ferment had failed, no sign of anything going on, gave it a stir and it tried to get me.

Different yeasts produce different amounts of foaming in the early stages of ferment. It also depends on the ingredients.

One of the reasons I like to use Lalvin yeasts, is that they produce a lot more data on each strain/type, so you have some idea of how much foaming is likely/possible.

Now I can't say for wines, as I've previously made mainly meads, where early method is a bit different, but I've learned that a full DJ is worthy of caution i.e. if making 1 gallon, in a 1 gallon DJ, its worth mixing the must to your desired level/quantity, but then remove a litre, maybe a wine bottle full and keep it in the fridge until the foaming has subsided, then adding it back once you're happy that the foaming has reduced.

Or, you just start a 1 gallon batch in a 10 litre bucket, where you can see what's going on during any stirring/aeration and the liquid has room to rise without foaming over the top. DJ's are fine but they do cause problems if pretty full by constricting any foaming and you end up with a nice little eruption.....

Brews with whole fruit bits or pulp seem to be the worst candidates.....

With the bucket method, the must is protected by the layer of CO2, so the extra air space isn't an issue, though if you're worried, just follow the "making a starter" method, which should start the ferment in the shortest possible time.....

Or another trick is to wash, rinse and sanitise the outside of the DJ and the inside of a plastic bowl, put the DJ in the bowl and then any foam eruption is contained. Putting any spilled must back in is controversial, but its not caused me any problems. It's really more down to your chosen size and shape of fermenter.....
    Last edited by fatbloke; 04-10-2012, 04:06 AM.
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes they can be quite prone to foam in early ferment, I have found particularly GV4 (higher alcohol one). In a primary fermentation container this isn't a problem but if you start primary in a DJ it may give you issues.
      Simon
      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

I have always started them off in a bucket, so any foam has always had room to expand into.

Cannot recall if GV4 was the first Gervins that tried to get out of the bucket and get me. Slightly more active then I expected, more like major panic as it climbed with great speed to the top.

Really wasn't expecting this one to do the same as previous. Thought it was a quieter yeast, but it manages to get close to the top of the bucket whenever I stir it.

Yeast started off without any problem and was showing decent activity within an hour or two, presently showing an indecent amount of activity.

Comment

Working...
        X