Oak Addition method for grape wines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak Addition method for grape wines

Hi, I recently purchased some frozen, destemmed, precrushed merlot and shiraz grapes from Cellar Rat so that I wouldn't feel too left out by not being able to attend grapefest this year.

I fermented these for 5 days on the skins then pressed and transferred to better bottles to finish fermenting. I reasoned that now would be a better time to add oak (french oak powder) rather than pre press which would have left the oak in the pressed skins and not the must post-pressing.

I really should have known better but the mentos reaction works just as well in part fermented wine as it does in coke. So, the remaining oak is now in an elderberry wine with the skins from the press.

My question is: Do you transfer the pressed must into better bottles/ Dj's or is it better to put it back in a clean fermenting bin so that you can add oak etc without domestic violence ensuing.

thanks
    Mark

ps the part fermented wine is very promising and the dog got quite p***ed after licking it up
    pps I highly recommend Brian's grapes, fantastic quality merlot especially.

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

I've only oaked months after fermentation is finished whilst the wine is in DJs or better still 5 litre water bottles. I have never had the mentos effect in any of the oaking I have done doing it this way. The water bottles are great as you can squeeze in the sides to expel any air whilst doing them up.

I taste the oaking wine after 3 weeks and then weekly after that until I've reached the level of oak that I want. I've yet to be brave enough to try oaking in a 23 litre carboy.

Comment

Not just oak, but anything you add to a carboy of fermenting wine can cause the mentos effect. If you are going to go that route, the trick is to add it before it begins fermenting.
      Steve

Comment

You can oak a wine at any time. I do mine prior to pressing. The trick seems to be not to add too much and build the flavour profile up slowly.
        I cannot comment on oak powder. How do you get it out?

You have a dog that helps with the clearing up - well done.

Thank you for the compliment about the grapes.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I think next time I will add the oak straight off the press and into the carbouy rather than waiting a day.

Brian, the oak "sawdust" will come out at the next racking, which judging by the vigour of the ferment won't be long.

The dog is currently regretting helping with the clear up. Flat coated retrievers are generally regarded as bright eyed and happy go lucky. Hung Over flatcoats are morose, moody and have the look of a blood hound in a centrifuge.

http://markblades.com
          Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
          These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
            Hung Over flatcoats are morose, moody and have the look of a blood hound in a centrifuge.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
              ...... A blood hound in a centrifuge.
              lol
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

What's the mentos effect? Other then the fresh maker lol and a tacky advert.

Originally posted by robwrx View Post
                I've only oaked months after fermentation is finished whilst the wine is in DJs or better still 5 litre water bottles. I have never had the mentos effect in any of the oaking I have done doing it this way. The water bottles are great as you can squeeze in the sides to expel any air whilst doing them up.

I taste the oaking wine after 3 weeks and then weekly after that until I've reached the level of oak that I want. I've yet to be brave enough to try oaking in a 23 litre carboy.

Comment

This should give you an idea of what they are taking about.

Mentos and coke

Mark.........

Comment

Originally posted by gitface View Post
                    This should give you an idea of what they are taking about.

Mentos and coke

Mark.........

Comment

Very good. I love these things. This one made me laugh. i think it might have been on the TV on rude tube.

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Watch out for flying oak chips near you !
                      Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

LMAO doesn't really cover it thank you Simon.

Comment

Working...
                        X