Sulphite for Red Grape Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sulphite for Red Grape Wine

Last week I pressed 75 litres of Cellar Rats excellent frozen Tempranillo grapes. I got 10 gallons of free run juice and a further 3 gallons of pressed juice. After settling for a few days, I racked it off the gross lees and now have 12 gallons. It's a very good, deep colour and tastes lush.
    I've got it in two 5 gallon carboys and two 1 gallon DJ's and intend to age it for six months or so, probably trying some oak chips in one of the carboys.
    My question is, should I add sulphite before leaving them to age and, if so, how much? I know Brian sulphited them when they were crushed and I have not added any more. I assume it needs some protection from oxidation. Is one campden tablet per gallon about right?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Yes you will need to sulphite as most of what Brian added at crush will have blown off during the fermentation.

Has fermentation completed? What was the SG at time of pressing? If it was only last week then you may still have a while to go before it is finished. As long as all carboys and DJs are topped up you will be ok until fermentation is complete.

My Tempranillo was pressed on 28th Sept and still has some very small bubbles rising to the surface and the airlock has pressure. The bubbles are very difficult to see in my dimly lit garage but you can see them with the light from a torch.

There is no need to rush the process

Rob

Edit. Not sure about the quantity of Camden tablets as I use a 10% solution of Pot Meta
    Last edited by robwrx; 15-10-2012, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Have you run malolactic fermentation yet? If not, then you should not add sulphite yet. Once MLF completes, then you can sulphite.
      Steve

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys.
        I'm not going for MLF with this one. My first real grape ferment so I'm keeping it as simple as possible. I prefer a bit of bite in my wine and this does not seem to have very high acid. But I do need to do another acid test this week.
        The SG was about 0.998 (didn't get a very precise reading) when pressed and there is no sign of activity in the air lock but I will do another SG test tonight and check for small bubbles as Rob suggests.
        In view of your comments I shall relax a bit and not rush into anything.
        Cheers,
        Dave.
        If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
        But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Well I pressed yesterday and while I didn't bother to test, as I presumed all.the ferments would be finished, checking tonight, I find the.Merlot had bubbled enough to fill the airlock.

Im gonna wait till the weekend to check the.gravity on the Grapefest brews....

And yes, the normal dosage would be 1 campden tablet per gallon. For sulphiting, normally every second racking.
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
          X