• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger Root?

I have a recipe for green tea wine

In the recipe it says 1 oz of ginger root

I cannot find ginger root anywhere.

In the recipe it says, I would advise to use ginger root, not, ground ginger

Have any of you used Ground ginger

I find it hard to believe that in an area that boasts of being "The Curry Capital of Britain", one would not be able to find ginger root.

I haven't used the powder, but in this case it might be better to leave it out altogether.
    Last edited by NorthernWiner; 22-11-2012, 03:11 PM.
    Steve

Comment

Unless it is out of season, you should be able to get it in most supermarkets. I've seen it in Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsburys. All Oriental Food markets should have it.

Comment

On previous experience with similar recipes. Use ginger root or nothing at all. The two are vastly different.

The same applies to cinnamon stick - it cannot be substituted with cinnamon powder successfully.

TOP TIP: Ginger root is available all year round - particularly if you freeze it. Take it out of the freezer grate off (while frozen) what you want and then put it back in the freezer. Bingo
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Root ginger definitely in Morrisons today.
          Simon
          "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Can you post the recipie?

Comment

Sure Leon try

I have tried Tesco and Lidl for Root Ginger, my two nearest super market, I will have to try further a field
              Last edited by Old un; 23-11-2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old un View Post
                I have tried Tesco and Lidl for Root Ginger, my two nearest super market, I will have to try further a field
                If you have any continental food shops - Indian, Chinese etc etc they are sure to have some.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Tesco should have root ginger. Bought some in mine a couple of weeks ago to make a couple of gallons of ginger wine, which is going now. And bought some this tuesday too, just put another gallon on today. Wether it varies for different branches/areas i don't know?? But its about out there.
                  Everybody should believe in something -- I believe I'll have another drink....

Comment

Found some on the weekly market this morning.

Thanks to all

Comment

Score!!
                      Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Old un View Post
                        Found some on the weekly market this morning.

Thanks to all
                        Let us know what it's like.

Nil Ligitmo pro Corburundum

Comment

The wine or the ginger

Comment

The wine of course! :^>

Pro ligitmo nil corburundum

Comment

Put it the DJ today, had a little taste, cannot really taste the ginger, I used 1 oz of ginger root.

In the recipie for 3 gallions it said 3 ozs I think it could do with a little more?

Comment

Working...
                              X