No announcement yet.

Steriliser - to rinse or not to rinse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steriliser - to rinse or not to rinse?

Hi all, after viewing loads of winemaking videos on YouTube our friends on the other side I the pond never rinse their tools/bungs/bottles after cleaning and sinitising.
    Is this needed for VWP sanitizer? I've been meticulously rinsing everything then worrying about infection if the item touches any surface that hasn't been sanitised.
    Matt

With VWP, yes, rinse well with tap water.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

VWP is chlorine based, so definitely rinse. Milton does not need to be rinsed, although I always do rinse if I use it. Campden Tabs also need rinsing out, as the ingredient hinders fermentation.
      Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
      Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
      Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Originally posted by Emeraldclaire View Post
        VWP is chlorine based, so definitely rinse. Milton does not need to be rinsed, although I always do rinse if I use it. Campden Tabs also need rinsing out, as the ingredient hinders fermentation.
        Actually no. You can use CJJ's home made sanitiser, which is 5 crushed campden tablets and 1 tsp of citric acid dissolved in a pint of water. I keep it in a hand spray and after I've washed and rinsed everything with soap and water, I spray everything with the sanitiser and let everything have 2 or 3 minutes contact time then just shake off any excess liquid and get on with the job at hand.

So far, its worked fine.
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Emeraldclaire View Post
          Campden Tabs also need rinsing out, as the ingredient hinders fermentation.
          Although I agree that campden tabs (or K-meta) can hinder fermentation, it's not something I've worried about, as I drain it well and/or shake out any excess. The tiny residual amount should have no effect. However, I realize that I usually make 5 Imp gallon batches. Perhaps in a much smaller batch (I would guess less than 1 gallon), it might have some affect.

I don't like the extra step of rinsing, especially as my rinse has chlorine in it (can sometimes smell it), and chlorine around wine is another problem.

Post fermentation, of course, that means no issue at all.

Steve
          the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
          "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Working...
          X