Ginger Wine Ingredients Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger Wine Ingredients Question.

Just read a recipe for a ginger wine, basically ginger, lemons, orange, sugar, nutrient, yeast. Then came the one ingredient I have a question about.

It said to add cloves, 1/4 cup or 30gms of cloves.

This seems a somewhat large amount. Having a quick look at the spices I have it is a matter of buy a new jar of cloves from the supermarket and empty the whole jar in to the mix as the one I have is a 35gm jar.

Anyone done similar or any opinions?

Hi

I think that it might be a tad on the high side as cloves can be strong, but I would not take my word for it.

Mark......

Comment

Originally posted by gitface View Post
      Hi

I think that it might be a tad on the high side as cloves can be strong, but I would not take my word for it.

Mark......
      Seconded - I use 2 in a mead (1 gallon) have considered 4. that said need has a subtle finish. A ginger wine is a bold number, so perhaps consider putting half the amount in if you are concerned. you can always have them later :-)
      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 05-02-2013, 05:21 PM.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Exactly the thoughts I was having, I did go and read the ingredients again and it is 1/4 cup (30gm) stated in it.
        Both amounts are about equal so not a misprint in one of them.

Searched out other ginger wine recipes and nothing comes even close, most do not include them.

Going to have to think about that one for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
          Exactly the thoughts I was having, I did go and read the ingredients again and it is 1/4 cup (30gm) stated in it.
          Both amounts are about equal so not a misprint in one of them.

Searched out other ginger wine recipes and nothing comes even close, most do not include them.

Going to have to think about that one for a while.
          I suspect that the prevailing view is the better one for consideration. Clove flavour is very much more powerful than ginger. The sort of quantity first mentioned is likely to render it undrinkable IMO.....

And that is from someone who has abandoned a batch for that very reason.......
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Hi All

Also one thing to remember is that cloves contain a toxin if enough are used, although I can't remember how many, this is what makes them useful if you have tooth ache, chomp down with the tooth that hurts and away goes the ache. If I remember it was used by dentists as an to numb the tooth before being pulled.

Mark..........

Comment

Blimey never knew that !
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Yep

Here is a link to the main ingredient of cloves

Mark............

Comment

How many gallons does the recipe make? For a 50 gal recipe, that might be the right amount. For a single gallon, you may as well call it "clove wine".
                  Steve

Comment

- good observation

Comment

Quantity was for a gallon.
                      Had it said 30 cloves I would had still had thoughts but 30gm seemed way too much.
                      One of those recipies I shall remember and never quite know if I should or not.

Always hate it when things like this happen, half of me says follow it, other half says avoid it.

Comment

Both CJJ Berry and river mansion say 30g.

Comment

Well give it a go. No-one is mean enough to say "ner nee ner nee ner ner" etc.

Just that we've explained what we think is the likely result. There's no way of knowing whether there's something about the mix of ingredients that makes a real winner.

So if the ingredient cost isn't too onerous......try it.
                          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I will be very interested to find out how 30g of cloves affects one gallon of wine

its a bit like.........I wonder how it will feel putting my fingers in an electrical socket

I know for sure that both will end badly

Cloves are really powerful critters, I once made a Joe's ancient orange mead with about 5 cloves, the taste and aroma was so powerful it made it very difficult to drink (throw it out?....are you mad?)

an idea......

boil the kettle, put 30g of cloves in a cup, pour on boiling water, leave to cool and taste and smell, if not too offensive, pop the lot into your must and see what transpires

just my two pennerth
                            N.G.W.B.J.
                            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by oliver90owner View Post
                              Both CJJ Berry and river mansion say 30g.
                              CJJ Berry also thought fermenting parsnips was a good idea
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X