Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I don't WANT to throw it away, but it's not fermenting!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't WANT to throw it away, but it's not fermenting!

UPDATE!!! - look at my last posting

I'm trying this forum as replies have dried up on another forum and I really need to know what to do, as it's 3 days old now.

Evening Chaps,

I started a couple of 4.5l demis Tuesday lunchtime with my usual t-bag wine. Now I've made this wine regularly since last year, all without problem. This is the recipe:

1 box Twinings t bags (16 or 20 in box ?)
    2 ltrs red grape juice
    1 tsp pectolase
    1 tsp nutrient
    1/2 t spoon tartaric acid (I used citric acid as that was what I had)
    1 tsp Youngs wine yeast
    Sugar to sg 1.080 or 1.090

Boil 2 ltrs of water in a large pan and switch off the heat, add the t bags and allow to infuse for about 15 minutes. Squeeze the t bags and remove – NOW ADD THE SUGAR, SO IT WILL MELT, allow the liquor to cool.

Add to the d/j the grape juice, pectolase, nutrient and acid.
    Add the cooled liquor and sugar -TAKE THE SAMPLE, - until - sg 1.080 / 1.090, add the yeast or starter, cover and ferment to dry.
    Once ferment has ceased stabilise and leave to clear, use finings if you prefer.

Thing is, this usually starts bubbling after about 5-7 hours - 72 hour later and... NOTHING!! Not from either of them! I'm concerned... What would you do?

UPDATE FROM THURSDAY:
    I sanitise with Milton but do rinse it off even though it says no rinse.

When I first put 'demis in the airing cupboard - where they ALWAYS go, within the first hour all seemed normal - there are floating bits moving up n down the demi, then starting to collect at the top - this is usually followed a few hours later by the fermentation starting. Only this time, all activity had ceased when I looked a few hours later. There's bits suspended in the liquid, but no movement. I changed the bungs and airlocks, but nothing happened. What else should (could) I do now, please, apart from panic?

One funny person suggested that as it was a very inexpensive wine anyway, why not just pour it away and start again? Well, I don't like *giving up* that easily so need to try all suggestions.

Ange
    x
    Last edited by Ange; 09-02-2013, 01:11 PM. Reason: ADDITIONAL INFO

What is the current gravity reading?

Has it moved at all from the starting sg reading?

To restart it make up a starter solution with 150 to 200ml of warm water, a few tsp of sugar, a couple of grains of acid. Add some yeast when it's cool enough to. (I'd use some quality yeast, but if you only have a tub of youngs use that)

When the starter is fermenting nicely (in a wine bottle I'd use at this stage) add some of your stuck wine to double the quantity in the bottle. A while later, when this is going nicely, double the quantity again. repeat this process untill you've got your entire gallon going.

Bob and band.. Feel fre to edit/correct anything as I'm away from home atm and maybe talking drivel from memory..
    Last edited by Rich; 08-02-2013, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Yeah. In a perfect world get K1v-1116.
      Start it in warm water only! Once going, gradually add the must to the yeast 50/50 each time until the it is all going.

Do not throw it away.

PS -- and this has been boiled - SHAKE THE BAJEEBERS out of it!! Get some air in it. Yeast needs some air to get started!
      Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 08-02-2013, 08:22 PM.
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Two things I can think of offhand. Could be your yeast is past the expiry date. Or perhaps there is a preservative hidden in one of the ingredients (grape juice maybe?).

Rich's advice is right on the money.
        Steve

Comment

Not an expert but would agree with NW. Possibly too much sulphite in the grape juice (presuming here the recipe was for one demijohn?) has killed the yeast, or the yeast was dead already. Using a yeast starter as per Rich should do the job and a good shake as per CR would not go amiss as oxygen will help the yeast reproduce, if not starting with as much as normal.

RAB

Comment

Update!!

Well Lads! Just been in to look at the demis this morning and... there is movement! they HAVE started fermenting - not the rapid bubbling/movement of bits that is usual, this is more...sedate, bet certainly fermenting! Will know whether drinkable of course, when ready to bottle so keeping everything crossed. Thanks so much for reading...

Ange
            x

Comment

I find the tubs of yeast OK for a while, but they don't last very long once opened. I don't use the tubs these days, but I keep in sachets of various wine yeasts - red, white, Burgundy etc. I sachet does 1-5 gallons. They usually have a good sell-by date on too.
              Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
              Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
              Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Originally posted by Emeraldclaire View Post
                I find the tubs of yeast OK for a while, but they don't last very long once opened. I don't use the tubs these days, but I keep in sachets of various wine yeasts - red, white, Burgundy etc. I sachet does 1-5 gallons. They usually have a good sell-by date on too.
                Yeah I think I'll need to buy a few sachet and start a store of them.

Ange
                x

Comment

Ange - did it start on its own?
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    Ange - did it start on its own?
                    Evening CR, yes it did - I agitated it (by shaking) and changed the airlocks and it started about 36/48 hours later. It's going OK now, so WHY it delayed itself I've NO idea

NEXT PROBLEM, perhaps I should start a new thread, WHERE'S all the Grape Juice?? Aldi had none whatsoever, Tesco's was double the price of Aldi's! Is summat going on??

Ange
                    x

Comment

Is summat going on??

Don't know! Probably find out in a few days time that they have been DNA testing for the right ingredients - probably won't find nag DNA ... but might be something else there! OOPs, just scaremongering, couldn't resist, sorry.

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't tell me they will find PARSNIP in the grape juice!

Comment

Originally posted by Ange View Post
                          Evening CR, yes it did - I agitated it (by shaking) and changed the airlocks and it started about 36/48 hours later. It's going OK now, so WHY it delayed itself I've NO idea
                          Boiling removes oxygen. Yeast needs oxygen to start. Shaking puts some back. I use a plaster paddle on a drill to whisk air into larger beer batches.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                            Boiling removes oxygen. Yeast needs oxygen to start. Shaking puts some back. I use a plaster paddle on a drill to whisk air into larger beer batches.
                            Ah! That's interesting re. boiling, CR. I'm starting another DJ this morning, it'll be interesting to see whether same things happen. I only boil water to steep the teabags (it's necessary) but that's all. I add the sugar to this once I've removed the steeped teabags and not re-boiled, but will MAKE SURE this time, not to leave on ceramic hob..residual heat just might have made a difference! Thank you.

I'm seriously worried about the lack of and price of Grape juice... I REFUSE to pay DOUBLE the Aldi/Lidl price that Tesco are charging...

Ange
                            x

Comment

I looked at a half-litre plastic bottle of red grape juice concentrate today - £6.50!

Can it really be that concentrated?

Comment

Working...
                              X