does yeast go off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does yeast go off?

hi all, I bought some young's yeast back in september to make some plum wine, it says best before 19/8/13. I opened it in september it says use within 3 months, I kept it in the fridge and used to make your No1 wine in February which seemed to be alright. I was hoping to make No1 wine with dried elderflower this weekend do you think it will be alright, it looks and smells good its just the local hombrew shop is some 15 miles away thanks for reading.

If you keep it in the dark and cool (the fridge) it is generally okay

If in doubt make a starter first - if it works great if it doesn't buy more yeast.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

local hombrew shop is some 15 miles away

The answer to your question is clearly 'yes', but I agree wholeheartedly with cellar rat. If you need some more a round trip of thirty miles may equate to more than postage if it were bought on-line instead.

Yes, I know it's good to support the local shop but you will almost certainly buy something else while there!

Rutland is a big place. I am nearly in Rutland. What is your nearest local brew-shop?

RAB

Comment

My local homebrew is Burghley homebrew newborough. Iwas there a couple weeks ago when they had an open day, I was going to buy yeast then but forgot. Rutland isn't that big, smallest county in England, and I'm 3 miles SE of Rutland water.

Comment

Your 15 miles could have got you to Leicester amonst other places. You must be in or near Ketton to get to Burghley HB at Newborough in 15 miles? It's 13 for me.

RAB

Comment

This is becoming quite a local thread for local people

Burghley Homebrew is newborough is my local home brew shop. Although I have to admit I buy online because of the time and cost involved.
            For non-urgent items I keep a list and then drop in when passing.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thread moved to here so as to keep the new winemakers thread clear and easy to read

Make a starter up using the yeast, that will tell you if it is still active and viable.

regards
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I will try a yeast starter, now I've looked it up , to see if yeast is still viable. I'm only looking at a couple of gallons of No1 wine with 2 teasooons dried elderflower nothing fancy. ps there is a very large chimney in the village and the downside of buying online is you don't get a complementary Mutons malt tee shirt. The fact the wife won't let you wear it outdoors is immaterial.

Comment

Mutons malt tee shirt. Jealousy is a terrible thing. Get her one too !

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                    This is becoming quite a local thread for local people
                    lol
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

there is a very large chimney in the village

I took pictures from the top of that large chimney in about 1976 - well about another 5-6 metres above the top of it actually.

If the starter does not work I can sell you a teaspoon or two of yeast for much less than the fuel to go and get some.

Seriously, if it doesn't work I would supply a couple teaspoons-full for free.

I will PM you later.
                      Last edited by oliver90owner; 05-05-2013, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Ah, the summer heat wave of 76, I was in my mid teens then not old enough to appreciate the juice of the grape, spent all my time at stamford open air swimming pool in between the river and cattle market, a car park now happy days.

Comment

happy days indeedy.

Comment

Working...
                          X