cream of tartar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cream of tartar

I am currently making some ginger beer. The recipe called for a quantity of cream of tartar.

Having done a bit of research, I fail to see what benefit this brings to the party.

Does anybody have any ideas what it is for? I am after all making ginger beer not ginger biscuits?
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

I don't think it is required, I don't use it when im making ginger beer anyhow, it brings nothing to the party

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I have done serious research on it and can't see what benefit it would bring.

Are our recipes similar?

2 Kg sugar (about 4.5% Alc)
      500g fresh ginger
      75g cream of tartar
      25g yeast nutrient
      10 lemons
      Water to 22 litres
      Gervin old English yeast
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Is that enough ginger? I put a lb in one gallon of ginger wine!

Comment

Seems to be. Bottling tomorrow so will probably be tasted properly in 2 weeks.

Comment

Recipe here

it turned out well, but if making again i would be tempted to up the alcohol

N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi

Is it an old recipe? If I am correct Cream of Tartar is made by the wine industry and is Tartaric Acid that has fallen out of the wine after fermentation.

Would an addition of TA bring anything into the equation?

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
              I am currently making some ginger beer. The recipe called for a quantity of cream of tartar.

Having done a bit of research, I fail to see what benefit this brings to the party.

Does anybody have any ideas what it is for? I am after all making ginger beer not ginger biscuits?
              Malc

Comment

Indeed, Potassium bitartrate (Cream of tartar) is the precipitant after excessive tartaric acid undergoes cold stabilisation ( refrigeration).

are you suggesting adding TA then?

Comment

I'm thinking it probably adds a little acidity, although it doesn't make a lick of sense since the recipe already calls for lemons. I agree it brings nothing to the party, and I would probably skip it.
                  Steve

Comment

thanks. Nice to know are not going completely mad!

It has bottled well and is currently undergoing secondary fermentation. Let's see in a couple of weeks

Comment

Working...
                    X