Will Red Wine Stain My Fermenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Red Wine Stain My Fermenter

Wine No2 has a really dark red colour. If I fermented 5 gallons of this in my tub would the wine stain the plastic.

Gary

A stained fermenter as a sign of character.
    Seriously I don't know for sure but I doubt it. Is it a young's wide neck fermenter? if so it is HDPE and you'd need to leave it in there for a long time.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I have two types of fermenters two are Youngs 5 Gallon fermenters (the pastic is really thin especially on the lid). The other two are Essencia 7 gallon fermenters and are very robust.

The Wine No2 is showing signs of staining in the 5 litre PET bottle. The staining is near the top of the bottle where the wine is foaming. It will probably rinse out, it's just because of previous experience red wine and white shirt don't go together.

Gary

Comment

If you are worried, I hear that oxyclean will get the stains off (don't know about shirts though). As long as you scrub the trub off the fermenter (but try not to scratch it) a bit of staining is not going to harm your subsequent brews. I have brewed reds, whites, beer and porter in the same buckets and have been reusing the same ones for years.

Just make sure you clean them out as soon as you rack and squirt some meta in to season the fermenter then seal it up until you need it again.

http://markblades.com
        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

That's good to know.

The red wine No2 has a real nice colour and would like to do a larger batch later on.

I think I'll keep one bucket for just reds only and one for whites.

Thanks Again

Gary

Comment

+1 for oxyclean (or Poundlands cheapo equivalent). Removes even the most stubborn stains.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Is Poundland's equivalent called Oxi-Ultra, as no other shops sell Oxiclean, apparently lakeland doesn't do it anymore.

Thanks

Gary

Comment

Wizz OXI Powder Fabric Stain Remover. Same stuff though I think (Sodium Carbonate Peroxhydrate) > 30% Oxygen based bleaching agents. Oh and just for the record I always rinse.
                Simon
                "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Thanks Simon

Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X