Elder Flowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elder Flowers

I am very new to picking fresh produce and after a bit of reaserch, elder flowers can be used to flavour wine before the berries sprout..Flowers are now appearing on the bush/tree, is it still too early.

But, don't pick the ones that smell of cat pee

Thanks Gary

As long as you don't cut the blossoms from the tree they will still produce berries.

Look at colin Tweeds juice extraction talk for the method of removing petals (he shakes florets into a paper bag, so they need to be ready to fall)

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-07-2013, 10:51 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Apparently if you put the flower heads in a plastic bag for 24 hours, the flowers will just shake off.
      The last time I picked some though there were aphids on the stems, so 24 hours later they had crawled all over the flower heads too!
      I'd recommend picking the bugs off as you pick them, or you'll spend hours picking them off later like we did!

Comment

I would have thought the aphids would have provided a bit of protein to the brew. See steve's worm wine thread

http://markblades.com
        Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
        These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

If you shake the flowers off, just before they fall off, you get berries a bit later is too. So you can have twice as much wine red and white! books would be killed by fermentation, I would not ferment an infestation, but the odd one or two is not a problem.

You would be amazed what ends up in commercial fermenters.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

There are (published) acceptable levels of MOG (material other than grapes)
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

There are (published) acceptable levels of MOG (material other than grapes)

Nothing there that would not come out with the enzymes around (or some added) and the wings and other chitinous parts should sediment on clearing... probably mostly a good yeast nutrient!

Comment

I am not sure I would want to use a enzyme in my wine that can dissolve secateurs blades or rubber gloves
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  I am not sure I would want to use a enzyme in my wine that can dissolve secateurs blades or rubber gloves
                  That had me laughing out loud.
                  Simon
                  "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

nice.... both of which I hasten to add I have found in ffreshly harvested wine grapes. s

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      As long as you don't cut the blossoms from the tree they will still produce berries.
                      Bob
                      The quality of the fruit remaining on the bush will probably be improved by a bit of judicious thinning of the blossom, like grapes and most other fruits.
                      Cheers,
                      Dave.
                      If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
                      But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

I'd never heard of an Elder Tree/ Bush, Thingy. I'm now more confident in what I pick thanks to you guys.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                        X