1st Racking Done as Scheduled Day 8 Kenridge Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st Racking Done as Scheduled Day 8 Kenridge Classic

Just carried out my first ever Racking day 8 of my first wine making experience. Took an SG reading on the Kenridge Classic Sauvignon Blanc and it instructed to be 1.010 or below of which it was 0.996 alot lower than i expected at this point considering its not meant to be 0.995 until after day 20 or there abouts, but we have had some warm weather of late.

Room temperature has been between 70 - 75F throughout the primary so is this normal? i'm sure its fine and its bubbling away as i type in the Carbuoy. Also the water in the airlock is being pushed up one side and not even, any concerns i should have at this point.

Sorry typical newbie and being my first attempt not entirely sure how it all works yet and what to look for

Better get back to cleaning and sanitsing in readiness for the next one

cheers guys

Jon

All sounds good. You are spot on, the warm weather has helped this along. The positive pressure of the carbon dioxide being produced by the fermentation is causing the air to be slightly uneven in the airlock this is normal.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thank you.

A little reassurance is always good. Just ordered the Kenridge Classic Barolo. Thought I would crack on and start
      another wine before i go away next month. Timing should just about be right. Think I will leave the Red to bulk mature in the Carbuoy versus bottling straight away.

Comment

Jon/Pords:

Sounding very good. I always expect the Ken Ridge Classic kits to be under 1.000 after 7 days if the temperatures are good, and to finish around .992.

I have enjoyed the KRC Sauv Blanc, but have not made the Barolo for myself. I used to run a store and a couple of customers really liked the KRC Barolo, but I recall both saying that it needs extra time. Unfortunately, I can't recall how much time they usually gave it. One went away for about 3 months one winter, and said that it was MUCH Better when he got back.

Steve
        the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
        "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Hi Steve

I was planning on making and then leaving it in the Garage until next year (easier said then done i presume). Read that these wines like time to mature to get the best out of them. If you have any other recommendations i would be glad to hear them. Would like to do a Kenridge Showcase when i get back from Holiday or an equivilant.

Jon

Comment

My favourite white wine is the Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer. It comes with a Suss Reserve pack, which we add to the primary instead of some of the water, as we prefer a dry g'wine, and we are both borderline diabetic.

Our house red is the Ken Ridge Classic Merlot. When I ran the store, it was the best selling kit, and most people liked it young (some 5-6 weeks after the kit was started). I like it better at a year or more.

In the red Ken Ridge Showcase kits, my all-time favourite has been discontinued for quite a while (British Columbia Merlot). The New Zealand Pinot Noir and Australian Shiraz are quite good.

Those, of course, are just my opinions based on my own experience. I haven't tried the Cab Sauvs because I'm not a Cab fan. I also haven't tried many of the others.

Steve

Comment

thanks steve for the pointers.

Just started the Kenridge Classic Barolla which is now in the bucket. only gripe was the bottle labels were missing due to Vineco re-printing. sent them an email asking how i can get hold of some.

Bought 100 grams of sodium metabisulphate for sanitsing but not sure of ratio to water.

The Sauvignon is coming along nicely mind. looks like orange juice at the moment.

Comment

for sanitising (and additions to wine #1) make up a 10% solution of Na meta in water. that is 50g / 500ml (for a spray bottles worth). You can add this at a rate of 5ml/gal to wine that has finished fermenting and is ready for racking/clearing. If your kit came with K meta use that instead. Better still, if you can find cheap K meta buy that instead and use the Na meta for sanitising only. I am still looking for a reliable cheap source of the stuff.

I think you will find any of the kenridge red or white kits are very drinkable. I routinely make the merlot and australian shiraz and occasionally find some in the garage that didn't get hoovered up within 3 months of bottling. It really does improve greatly with age. Sadly, I can't afford to make 10 kits at a time to make sure some gets left alone long enough to reach its potential.

If you can afford one of the top end kits (the Washington Meritage was absolutely fab while it lasted) then treat yourself. Alternatively, cellar rats 5 gallon grape ice lollys make stunning wine. The shiraz merlot blend I made last year is easily the best wine I have made to date (noticeably better than even the high end kit wines). I think I hid some away so I am hoping to see this improve further in the next year or so.

Good luck with whatever you make.

Mark

http://markblades.com
                Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Thanks Mark

Very helpful information.

jon

Comment

jon, re K-meta..

1. use the K-meta that came with the kit as an additive to the wine as described in the instructions. Don't use it to mix up some sanitizer.
                    2. for sanitizing, I was told 50g per 4 litres. Keep it in a jug (preferably glass, but plastic is OK). If you sanitize something that was clean, then you can put the K-meta solution back into the jug after use. I don't like doing that if it picked up some dirt.

Steve

Comment

Borrolo racked now day 8 of primary, SG reading was 0.092. Checked the Sauvignon Blanc and no activity showing, SG 0.090. Had a taste and was plesantly surprised. Its due for degassing on Sunday which will be day 12 of secondry fermentation. Most probably could get away with doing it tomorrow but will stick to the instructions without deviation.

I also mixed up a sanitizing solution of 100gm of richies sodium metabisulphite to 1000ML of water. Is this correct? left residue of white everywhere. is this a good mix for sanitizing bottles? and do i need to rinse?.

So far so good and enjoying the experience.

Comment

100gm metabisulphite and makiing up to 1000ml makes a 10% solution,

adding 100g to 1000ml makes 1100ml so a so slightly weaker solution (not enough to worry about)

rinse yes

regsrds
                        Bob
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 12-07-2013, 08:16 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.
                        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by Pords View Post
                          Borrolo racked now day 8 of primary, SG reading was 0.092. Checked the Sauvignon Blanc and no activity showing, SG 0.090. Had a taste and was plesantly surprised.
                          We all know that you meant .992 and .990. However if you try to calculate the % alcohol using .092 and .090, it will give a pretty crazy result.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Bob / Steve.

Comment

As Bob says, for a 10% solution, to be pendantic you would dissolve 100g Meta in about 800ml water (in a measuring cylinder) then top that up to 1000ml.

Me, I just add 100g meta to 900g water and enjoy the fire in the nose that is the preserve of all committed wine makers.
                              As an aside a % w/v wolution is actually giving you the 'density' of the solute in the solvent (as density = m/v).

http://markblades.com
                              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
                              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Working...
                              X