Wine Cloudy After Vacuum Degassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine Cloudy After Vacuum Degassing

I decided to try a new approach to degassing my wine. I attached a 5cfm vacuum pump and pulled the demijohn down to a reasonable vacuum. The wine was clear before degassing. After degassing there is quite a haze to the wine still after 5 days.

I understand a lot of particles are attached to the co2 in wine which are released after degassing but I have not experienced such a haze after degassing before. I am wondering if this method is much more efficient at removing the co2 and needs more time to settle out,or do I need to act on a problem?

The wine is parsnip and beetroot rosé.

I think i was worrying about nothing, the wine is now clearing well and I had a sneaky glass which was quite good. I am amazed at the amount of sediment now at the bottom of the demijohn, there is about 5mm from what was a clear ish wine in a clean demijohn. I will certainly use this method from now on.

Comment

That's good to hear. Frankly, I am amazed that beetroot and parsnip can make a drinkable wine but I'm willing to try. Which recipe did you use?
      Also, wrt vacuum degassing I think you'll be ok with 1 gal dj's especially if almost full but I would be careful with carbouys and half empty dj's. There may be a risk of implosion. Did you have a water trap in your vacuum setup? It's a good idea as it'll avoid you pulling wine into the pump. Rotary vane pumps do not like liquids in them at all.

welcome to the forum by the way.

cheers

Mark

http://markblades.com
      Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
      These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Hello wotsit,

I attached a 5cfm vacuum pump

A bit of a 'sledge hammer to crack a hazel nut' approach, I would think?

I understand a lot of particles are attached to the co2 in wine

Not if it was already clear? Degassing is going to cause turbulence, I would imagine, and particles in suspension need some time to agglomerate before sedimenting (unless using finings).

As Mark says, full vessels only. The old school 'bell jars' (for the 'sound in vacuum test', for instance, were far more robust then a demijohn. I've never experienced a glass dessicator fail under vacuum, but we always covered them with a cloth if they were left in a situation where they might cause a further hazard on implosion.

RAB

Comment

I only used such a large pump as I had one already in the workshop, I do use a trap, a half full demi with an adapted bung, I put it in a trug covered over. I think this is probably quite unsafe.

I used CJ Berry Parsnip wine recipe and added a few beetroot for color then left exposed to light to lighten.

I think an experiment with some pictures will be along, I would like to try this again against a control to see if I can get a clearer wine.

Comment

My dad used to make parsnip wine a lot - he always said it is notoriously difficult to clear.

Comment

From the bloodstream or in the dj?

http://markblades.com
              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

LMAO.

Sorry u01dtj6 this is nothing personal. Parsnip wine holds a very special place in our heart on this forum. It is something we all love to hate. There is even some wine judges who have given it best in show would you believe !! please please please don't think we are having a pop.
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                X