Hot Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Weather

Todays hot weather pushing the temperature up for primary and secondry fermentation to 77F +. decided to place cold tea towels over the bucket and carbuoy to keep cool. got it down to 73F steady for the reaminder of the day but rising again. Oh the joys of wine making constant worry.

my latest batch of ginger beer is going like a train.....
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Well for most batches it's less of an issue but that doesn't mean its not useful to know about swamp coolers and similar.

Just put a fermenter on a bowl or bath put a damp towel round it and fill it with cold water. Then you can just point a fan at it. The water is "wicked" up the cloth and it pulls some of the warmth out the fermenter before evaporating (well that's as I understand it anyway).

Not sure if the likes of fusels and D47 are an issue with wines like they've been found to with meads, or not. The temp cut off seems to be 21C/70F........
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I tend to use ice packs - just dump 'em in. Having said that, if you get the balance of the swamp cooler right you could use to regulate continually rather than just control the peaks.

Pords ... is it red or white?
        Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 08-07-2013, 07:30 AM.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Both. Red in the Bucket primary & white in Carbouy on secondry stage.

Comment

Red grape wines benefit from a hot spike. 32 is my max.

Comment

Working...
            X