Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buried in the Sand

Italian Wine Cellar.jpg

I came across the attached picture of an Italian cellar and noticed the sand covering the bottles. I suppose this would reduce temperature fluctuations as well as protecting from the light.
    Has anyone tried this idea for aging bottled wine? I suppose the Italian climate is a bit hotter and drier than ours so not sure about problems with damp.
    I have been thinking about making insulated wooden crates to hold approx thirty bottles and now I am toying with this idea of topping these up with sand - or maybe expanded polystyrene pellets.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

They sure is not just brick dust, judging by the state of the walls

Seriously, anything that reduces temperature fluctuation is a good thing. Fluctuation doesn't matter as much as speed of fluctuation. if they get seasonal variations that is okay if they get daily variations that is not good.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Builders foam Dave......goo on, you know you want too ;D
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        They sure is not just brick dust, judging by the state of the walls
        This is what I was wondering as well.

Look at the dates on the bottles. Remnants of allied bombardment during the second world war, perhaps?
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          Look at the dates on the bottles. Remnants of allied bombardment during the second world war, perhaps?
          Good call. It is not a winemaking process I have ever come across. Where did the photo come from?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Here's the link
            //www.montalcinoreport.com/montalcinoreport/contact.html
            Cheers,
            Dave.
            If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
            But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

You could try what the Georgian's do and burry a big clay jar in the garage! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh9AcMFTvUM
              Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

Good video ....is the lip sync off or has the presenter been sampling too much
                Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 12-07-2013, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  ....is the lip sync off or has the presenter been sampling too much
                  Maybe the viewer needs to achieve the same level of sampling before watching
                  Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

I like your thinking !!

Comment

Working...
                    X