Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do we believe in sorbate?

Hello,

I'm finishing some of Cellar Rat's Merlot and Garnacha (not blended, still separate, but I will blend as the Garnacha is astringent and 10.5% while the merlot is opulent and 14.5%). I'm reading around whether to put in some potassium sorbate. The summary seems to be this: it's a practice only started in last 50 years; you don't need to do it for dry wines, particularly reds; it can leave a taste; taste gets stronger with ageing. Now all the Selection kits use it - but I'm cheesed off with kit reds, so that's no golden rule.

What do you folks do? I'm expecting to keep these reds three years or so. I've not tested for residual sugars and yes, the bubbler was bubbling in a desultory way but it's 4 weeks since the fermentation started and at .992 (merlot) and .996 (garnacha) I think the game is up. I have put 1 crushed campden tablet per 5L and degassed. I shall think about finings in a couple of weeks and rack once more at least.
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

I only use it if sweetening the wine, there is no need (or value) if wine is remaining dry

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I don't use Sorbate anymore except for the same reason as Bob.

The Sorbate in kit wines is added for several reasons. Apparently it will make the wine more microbial stable and reduce the chance of any residual sugar fermenting in the bottle.

Back in November I fermented two drums of Brians frozen Grenache. The initial SG was quite low at 1.074 so I bumped up the sugar to SG1.085. TA was 7.4g/l which although a little on the high side, I decided not to try adjusting as the Ph3.54 was good.

I've never bothered to add any finings to fresh or frozen grape wines and just let nature do its thing. If you have the ability to bulk age in a carboy the sediment will drop out over time. I racked my Grenache when it had finished fermenting and then again at 6 months and it is pretty clear now.

Bob once told me that fresh grape wine should be given at least 18 months to age. Don't believe everything that Brian says about early drinking wine . I have a Sangiovese that was very astringent and disappointing for ages that is now very nearly 2 years old and has turned the corner and developed into a rather nice wine. You can't rush good wine.

Rob

Comment

Thanks for those replies. I'll leave out the sorbate and I'm happy to age the wine - though that will be in 1 gallon demijohns. I thought about bumping up the sugar on the Garnacha but thought I'd see how the first batch went all by itself. Hoping to do a Sangiovese this year before the Montepulciano arrives, we shall see.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

In short. No & No.

( sorbate & back sweetening )
          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 15-07-2013, 12:51 PM.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I used potassium sorbate to back sweeten Wine No2......as per recipe.

But there again, i probably wouldn't notice the taste difference with or without

Gary

Comment

Working...
            X