Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitising Bottles with Sodium Metabisulphite

Morning All

The Barrolo is now in bottles standing upright for the next few days. Quick question; I used the 10% SM solution to sanitise the bottles without rinsing, which was 900ML water and 100g of SM. Have I over done it with this mix for sanitising the bottles prior to adding the wine?. Only reason I ask, is a few other forums say to mix up 2 oz of SM per Gallon. Seems I have used a much stronger solution to what others were recommending.

Jon

It will be fine without rinsing.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

As CR but with a little more depth.

Did you thoroughly drain your bottles - it is surprising how much can be left if just emptied quickly and stood up.

10 cm cubes of 10% solution is equivalent to a little more than two camden tablets. You would be going some to leave that much in a bottle, I would think. But a camden tablet worth is not out of the bracket if not drained too well.

In my book it might be better to use the potassium salt rather than the sodium variant if one is not rinsing.

Yes, yours was approx 5 times stronger than some recommend. I just use it until it does not sniff strongly, then change it or just add some more. I am a bit of a 'bucket chemist' at times. It will go off very quickly if left unsealed.

RAB

Comment

Thanks Guys

Was worried It might have left a nasty after taste when I eventually get round to opening. Rab I did leave to drain upside down and gave a good shake to each bottle before adding wine.. You know what its like you do something and then second guess yourself, and start researching and putting doubt in your mind.

In future I might use a weaker solution for bottling ie 1/2 tsp to 500ML to avoid all the worry.

Jon

Comment

Originally posted by oliver90owner View Post
          As CR but with a little more depth.
          I just use it until it does not sniff strongly,
          RAB
          Does anyone know a good way to sniff-test a sulphite solution? I usually leave some in unused DJ's, fermenters and carboys and do a sniff test when I want to use them to judge whether they need re-sterilising or are good to go - and most times I pretty near poison myself!
          Cheers,
          Dave.
          If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
          But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

most times I pretty near poison myself!
            That is the sniff test !!
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

think of it as wine makers snuff!

http://markblades.com
              Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
              These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

lol
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
                  think of it as wine makers snuff!
                  lol.

with pretty much the same effect on your lungs

Comment

Heh. We actually got taught how to sniff things in a chemistry lab by one of the elder professors (they don't suggest people sniff things in labs anymore) what to do it remove the stopper and waft your hand towards you whilst your about 1-2ft away from the opening, slowly moving closer if you don't smell anything. Course with metabisulfite you'd probably be safer being about 4-6ft away!
                    Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
                    Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
                    -Police Squad

Comment

Got to admit, I didn't realise how potent this stuff was until I mixed up my first batch. Especially as it's as Rab says 5 times stronger than most mixes. Why is that anyway? I know I read some where to mix up a 10% solution in warm water; but it did go on to say after you have done this than top up with a gallon of cold water. Instruction were 10g to 100ml warm water than a gallon of cold.

Any ideas. See i'm still worried i've tainted my new wine. lol

Comment

No

You have that wrong, if you dilute to a gallon it is way short of 10%

Your concentration was 5 times stronger as you had used the wrong amount.

It's best when using measures to either use the metric system or the imperial, don't mix them or you will get it wrong. Metric is best when making % solutions as it is easier.

Making a 10% solution:
                        10g metabisulphite and add water to 100ml that is a 10% solution.

if you then add water to a gallon (4,540ml) you will have diluted it by 45 times, so it wont be 10% any more so will not have hurt your wine at all
                        hope that clears up the confusion

regards
                        Bob
                        Last edited by lockwood1956; 02-08-2013, 04:56 PM.
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Bob

Now I am confused. When I made up my solution I added 100g SM to 900 ML of water. In one of your threads you said to do this to make a 10% solution. Where did I go wrong? Sorry but chemistry is defo not my thing.

Also I didn't add a gallon of water I left it as what I initially mixed 1000ml.

Below I have copied and pasted from another thread.

100gm metabisulphite and makiing up to 1000ml makes a 10% solution,

adding 100g to 1000ml makes 1100ml so a so slightly weaker solution (not enough to worry about)

rinse yes

regsrds
                          Bob
                          Last edited by Pords; 02-08-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pords View Post
                            Instruction were 10g to 100ml warm water than a gallon of cold.
                            This section of your previous post was what confused me, i thought you had made 100ml of 10% and then diluted to a gallon

lets start this again

How did you make up your solution exactly?

regards
                            Bob
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I added 100g of richies SM the whole little white container to 900 ML of water.

Comment

Working...
                              X