Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Nutrient

Hi

When I first started out, I got some youngs yeast nutrient. That's coming to an end and I now know there are other better nutrients out there. My local hbs doesn't sell Tronozymol, are there any other good quality nutrients to look out for? Cheers

Try Karl - "Duffbeer" hw will be able to supply.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I ended up getting some brupaks nutrivin as the guy in the hbs said it was far superior to youngs. The only slight issues is there are no dosage instructions. Does anyone know what the correct amount per gallon is and how well it works. Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by laviscus View Post
        I ended up getting some brupaks nutrivin as the guy in the hbs said it was far superior to youngs. The only slight issues is there are no dosage instructions. Does anyone know what the correct amount per gallon is and how well it works. Cheers
        From memory, nutrivin is a Brouwland product (brupaks being the UK importers I believe) so you should find something there (english version unless you have fluent Flemish of course).....

I believe that Brouwland do more than one type. One looks like white (ish) powder with salt looking crystals in it and the other looks like tan powder. Problem is that tronozymol looks like the tan powder (not un similar to Fermaidk actually) whereas the brouwland/brupaks equivalent is the white powder with salt looking stuff. Which has more in common in appearance with the youngs sugar crystals appearance (and is just nitrogen and not like the "complete" ones like trono' or fermaid etc)....

Hence its often handy to get a small pack in and work with not only a familiar name but appearance too (plus I don't bother with HBS answers as I make mainly meads and so much of their info has proved to be rubbish....they want to help but want to sell more so generalise with ignorance......yes I'm cynical as hell).....
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

According to the pack it says a "blend of soluble inorganic salts, vitamins and amino acid. I'll be miffed if it's just nitrogen, especially as the guy in the shop said he'd been brewing for about 30 years and used it himself and it was a "complete" one, but it is a white powder with crystals in it

Comment

It will contain di-ammonium phosphate, vitamin B1 and trace elements and salts needed for healthy fermentation.

it will be faaaaaaaaaaaaaar superior to the plain Young's yeast nutrient.

dosage should be on the packet?
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Great, thanks everyone for their input. Sadly there's nothing on the label and nothing on brupak website other than to add it to the must. However, they seem to do a beer version with identical wording on the label called vit-yeast which is added at 4-6 grams per 100l. Hopandgrape sell it and suggest 1/2 tsp per 25l. Does that sound about right?

Comment

I think that “normal” yeast nutrient is as good as the far more expensive “Tronozymol” etc. for most purposes. When making flower wines or meads etc., add a “Vit. B Complex” tablet (from Boot’s) to ensure a healthy fermentation. Normal ‘nutrient (diammonium phosphate/ammonium sulphate) should be added at the same time. The instructions recommend 1 tsp per 4.5 litres but, for the afore mentioned brews, I would suggest doubling the amount & for “normal” wines, I would halve the amount as any “nasties” will also relish the food gives for them. Well balanced musts really don’t need the nutrient; ½ tsp is just for “insurance”.
                http://www.petespintpot.co.uk

Comment

Great, thanks everyone for their input. Sadly there's nothing on the label and nothing on brupak website other than to add it to the must. However, they seem to do a beer version with identical wording on the label called vit-yeast which is added at 4-6 grams per 100l. Hopandgrape sell it and suggest 1/2 tsp per 25l. Does that sound about right?
                  Don't use beer making recommendations for wines etc. Beer worts tend to have a much higher level of nutrients from the ingredients, wine stuff - especially non-grape stuff is a little lower and honey needs quite a lot for meads and honey based brews.

Ok, so just being a bit pedantic. If I understood correctly, brupaks import their stuff from Brouwland (which I did mention earler...) which, if correct, then is the correct spelling "Nutrivin" ? Or nutrivit ? presuming the later, and as found on the Brouwland website listing for Vinoferms "Nutrivit" (of course, I'm conceding that "nutrivin" may be an entirely different product, but I have nutrivit here.......),
                  Nutrivit
                  Special mixture of yeast nutrients, vitamins (i.e. B1), minerals and micronutrients, in ideal proportions. Perfect for a smooth fermentation of all wines (and beers), especially country wines, wines made of concentrated juices and certainly necessary for all problematic fermentations. Dosage: 5-10 g/10 l.
                  So as per their recommendation something like 1 tsp per gallon would be about right.......
                  Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by peterj View Post
                    I think that “normal” yeast nutrient is as good as the far more expensive “Tronozymol” etc. for most purposes.
                    Well....
                    that really depends on which "normal" nutrient you are talking about. some home brew stores sell nutrient which is totally substandard.

I really think that paying the extra for a good quality nutrient is worth the money as it ensures a good clean ferment.
                    9 times out of 10 you will get away with "normal" nutrient, maybe even more, but for that one time, when I have taken the time and trouble to put together a good must, I dont want to take a chance on it not turning out as well as it could.

If you were going to feed a tug of war team, would you give them cucumber sandwiches or something heartier?

Would you run a Rolls Royce on paraffin?

One of the biggest things that will have an impact on the quality of the wine is yeast quality, and I want those yeasties well fed before they do batlle.

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                      Well....
                      that really depends on which "normal" nutrient you are talking about. some home brew stores sell nutrient which is totally substandard.

I really think that paying the extra for a good quality nutrient is worth the money as it ensures a good clean ferment.
                      9 times out of 10 you will get away with "normal" nutrient, maybe even more, but for that one time, when I have taken the time and trouble to put together a good must, I dont want to take a chance on it not turning out as well as it could.

If you were going to feed a tug of war team, would you give them cucumber sandwiches or something heartier?

Would you run a Rolls Royce on paraffin?

One of the biggest things that will have an impact on the quality of the wine is yeast quality, and I want those yeasties well fed before they do batlle.

regards
                      Bob
                      Concur with Mr M.......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by peterj View Post
                        Well balanced musts really don’t need the nutrient.
                        That also depends......

On what the constitution of the must is...some recipes are just flowers and sugar, in that case there are very few nutrients present in the must, the same for some root vegetable recipes.

Meads are notorious for being nutrient needy, so even though the must is balanced at the beginning, more nutrient would be needed at stages throughout the fermentation.

For me....a well balanced must isnt so, unless the nutrient needs are taken care of, either from the ingredients, or by nutrient additions.

regards
                        Bob
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I was going for wine number 4 with gervin gv4 so wanted some decent nutrient for the yeasties to chomp on.

This is the product I got from my local hbs.

Definitely nutrivin not nutrivit unless brupak slightly renamed it when they imported it.

Comment

I was going for wine number 4 with gervin gv4 so wanted some decent nutrient for the yeasties to chomp on.

This is the product I got from my local hbs.

Definitely nutrivin not nutrivit unless brupak slightly renamed it when they imported it.
                            Can you just post a pic of the contents ? As that'll likely confirm if they're using repackaged nutrivit......I've got some of that here, as well as tronozymol and Fermaidk........

In the mead world, its often recommended to stick with Fermaid either K or O as lallemand publish better product data than just about all the others e.g. you often see recommendations for a mix of nutrient and energiser. Pure DAP is usually what's meant by "nutrient" and the combined stuff of Fermaidk as "energiset". DAP gives 200 ppm per gramme per litre, whereas Fermaidk gives about 110ppm per gramme per litre, hence you can get pretty precise for the nitrogen requirements if need be. So DAP (or this side of the pond, Youngs yeast nutrient) being cheaper, can be mixed with Fermaidk (or tronozymol here) as a good approximation for whatever yeast type is being used.

The downside being that for the yeast, you can only get the 5 usual suspects in home brew pack sizes, anything else usually has to come from the US (a couple of places seem to be repackaging the commercial sized ones down to home/5 gallon size packs).

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                            X