cherry-plum/yellow plum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cherry-plum/yellow plum

Around here there is a bun-dance of what she says are cherry-plums, picture follows:

Mob-0162.jpg

So the jam has been made. It took all of 30 mins to collect 10lbs.

Any wine value? I'm not after sweet wine, they are quite light on taste, so could take rose petal, a few sultanas... anyone with experience of these critters?
    Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
    Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

I never think you can make good dry wine from Plums, it always seems a bit fuzzy on the tongue.

Slight sweetening helps a great deal.

I have 30lbs Victoria plums in my freezer, keep looking at them, the one thing I haven't tried is steam juicing, so might give that a go and report on the results

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

LOL. You beat me to it - plums have always seam a lot of work for no gain

Are these mirabelle plums - if so they are big in France for winemaking - but I think they go on to make it into the spirit maybe..
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Mrs LePlot assures me they are Mirabelle. She with the 10lbs of jam. I can't tackle sweet wine, so with freezer space a premium and grapes coming soon, I'll leave the Mirabelle. It's a funny old world isn't it? These plum trees are on the green 200 yards from my house, in the middle of a built-up area and the 6 or 7 trees just have a carpet of windfalls around them. No one seems the least interested. When I and the aforementioned wandered up there with step-ladder and a bucket, those walking their dogs (over the age of 35) all asked "what are you doing?". In the same tone of voice had we been conjuring up a game of satanic leapfrog with old Nick.

Mind you, I shall be leaving room in the freezer for bullaces. They come at the same time as grapes, so will just have to go in there for a January/February brew, but with currants, a handful of elderberries and blackberries bullaces seem to be a plum up to the job. I only know of 5 trees and two of those are council planted right in the town. The big competition is whether they end up in jam first... and I need her dainty feet to crush the grapes.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

dainty feet to crush the grapes
          LOL. In my experience you need big feet with wellies on. It does work very very well. One of the best Merlot batches I made.
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by ToulouseLePlot View Post
            No one seems the least interested. When I and the aforementioned wandered up there with step-ladder and a bucket, those walking their dogs (over the age of 35) all asked "what are you doing?". In the same tone of voice had we been conjuring up a game of satanic leapfrog with old Nick.
            LoL. I have experienced exactly that round here. I have used these to make wine with I think good results. I didn't back sweeten per se but used glycerine to soften the mouthfeel. This also gives a little sweetness and made a nice wine, after 2 years ageing and well chilled it was lovely. I mixed red and yellow varieties and it made a nice rose.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Working...
            X