Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry wine fruit debris floating on surface

Hi,
    I'm making 5 gall blackberry wine using 9Kg fruit that I macerated.
    It's fermenting well ATM but there's a 4" crust of fruit debris floating
    on the surface, that I keep stirring in as often as possible. When I
    rack the wine, how do I get rid of this?
    Pete

Rack is through a fine nylon sieve, if was me, I would do this once it has done the major part of its fermentation, but not finished. You have no oxidisation issues to worry then if it's a bit splashy.

Once it is all in the bottle make sure it is topped up to the neck and left it finish under an airlock.
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 28-08-2013, 07:42 AM. Reason: typo
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks for your reply.
      Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      Once it is all in the bottle make sure it is topped up to the neck and left it finish under an airlock.

I'm making 5 gallons - do 5 gallon bottles exist?

Comment

Originally posted by goodolpete View Post
        Thanks for your reply.

I'm making 5 gallons - do 5 gallon bottles exist?
        Yes. I get mine via the big HBS in Aldershot (I can park an Artic outside ).....
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yes, it's a standard size 23L~5gal(UK)

Also endorse the crud removal recommended by Brian. The advice seems to be to try and stir the cap back into the brew about 3 times a day. Apparently this stops it going mouldy and it's best for getting the colour and flavour out. Makes sense really, why bother fermenting with bits of fruit if they are suspended above the juice on a cushion of bubbles.

Another thing you might want to do is, when you transfer the liquid to the 5 gal bottle - hopefully you'll have a bit too much, put that in a plastic bottle with an airlock and hang on to it for topping up when you rack. mead 1111.jpg This picture is actually of mead and there is a lot of head-room, but it was quite lively and so I wasn't worried. That batch turned out lovely too.
          Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
          Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

It is a shame to use the small 5 gallon carboys, if you had doubled the recipe you could have had 10 gallons in one jar

Seriously, you could use five separate gallon jars, but bulk is best (always)
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

You lucky devil !!
              Up here in Scotland, we are at least 2/3 weeks away from picking Blackberries....and a lot can happen in that time.
              Got my fingers crossed !

Ian.

Comment

Go for it! blackberries produce lovely stuff (so I am told!)

Comment

Working...
                X