Bottled but..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottled but..............

It must be an age thing - mine not the wines - but having stared at a sweetened, ready to bottle brew, sitting in their demijons for the past 6 mths - I finally thought, time to taste and bottle - all safely done - sat there looking at the 12 nicely corked bottles - then I saw the tub of kmet sitting next to them, that I forgot to use! AAAArrgggghhh.

Do I uncork and sulphate, or leave as is, and presumably drink sooner rather than later (say within 12mths?)

I assume you had added sulphite and sorbate when you sweetened six months ago?

I'm far to lazy to even think about uncorking them all so would leave maybe six bottles for drinking in the next few months and uncork the other six, syphon them into a DJ with kmet, give them a day or two to mix, then rebottle.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

I think the fact the corks are still in is a good sign

I would drink it
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Many thks - rechecked records and is over 12 mths since last sulphated, when sorbated and sweetened - guess I had better poor back into demijon and do it right!

Comment

If you added sorbate once, you don't need to add it again. And SO2 losses in glass containers are not all that significant. I'm not convinced you have a problem, and pouring it back into a DJ further increases the risk of oxidation.

Personally, I would leave it alone.
          Steve

Comment

TStarr:

It's unclear to me from your posts....did you sanitize the bottles? If not, there's a chance that some of the wine will go bad. It happened to me on my 2nd or 3rd batch. I got confused on cleaners and sanitizers, and didn't properly sanitize my bottles. Basically I used Diversol (pink powder) as if it was K-meta. Several months later some bottles were fine, and others literally stunk.

Steve
            the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
            "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Working...
            X