Ocean Aged Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocean Aged Wine

One for Cellar Rat maybe. Some Americans have been looking at the effect of ageing wine under water. Four cases of 2009 cabernet sauvignon were submerged off the coast of South Carolina and ocean-aged for three months. When the wine was retrieved, a sommelier declared that the ocean aging had transformed the 2009 vintage into a 2007.

Two years ageing in three months can't be bad. Link is here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-dy...b_4045411.html
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Originally posted by SleepyDave View Post
    One for Cellar Rat maybe. Some Americans have been looking at the effect of ageing wine under water. Four cases of 2009 cabernet sauvignon were submerged off the coast of South Carolina and ocean-aged for three months. When the wine was retrieved, a sommelier declared that the ocean aging had transformed the 2009 vintage into a 2007.

Two years ageing in three months can't be bad. Link is here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jim-dy...b_4045411.html
    No good to man or beast.......

How in hells name are you just gonna go get another bottle when you want to get ratted ?

No "just popping down the beach for another bottle"......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

There was a similar article in another newspaper about doing this in Italy or Sardinia or Corsica. Now what is interesting to me is the age old debate of what happens through the cork. I believe nothing happens through the cork. The official scripture is that something magical happens and it is to do with oxygen.

Sensitive ears? You know pressure even -10M is significant. Oxygen? You know there is some of that but there is an awful lot of plain h2o and salt and other stuff.

Is oxygen getting into the bottle? No.

Is it damaging the wine? No.

What was the original purpose of a cork? To seal the bottle.

Should we think it a micro-porous interface allowing ingress and egress of essential compounds? No.
      Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
      Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

I agree, I can't see that anything significant could get in through the cork. I understand that corks allow minute quantities of oxygen in, but one of the reasons for the test was the effect observed on bottles of champagne recovered from a wreck. The pressure inside those bottles must have been at least as high as the water pressure outside.

But one of the things they appear to have included in the test was to allow the bottles to move in the current. Perhaps there is a constant motion from currents and tides that is causing the effect.

Any one got a design for a rocking wine rack?
        Cheers,
        Dave.

Comment

Sounds to me like a marketing scheme designed to sell very pricey bottles of wine. And I'd be willing to bet the sommelier who gushed over it is also getting a cut off the top.
          Steve

Comment

I agree with Northern Winer. I watched a series this year about deep sea salvage. On one of the ships they found a lot of wine. This was a ship destined for London during the second world war. When they opened bottles of the red or white the bottles had become infiltrated with sea water there was some champagne that was still good but nobody commented on how much better it had become during its deep sea storage time. I would think that salt water would take some time to infiltrate the cork but even if the cork had not been infiltrated I can not see an improvement over time in the bottle.
            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              Sounds to me like a marketing scheme designed to sell very pricey bottles of wine. And I'd be willing to bet the sommelier who gushed over it is also getting a cut off the top.
              Ooooh, so cynical........

And Dave isn't quite right.....every 10 metres down and the pressure increases by 1 bar, so the bottles of champoo wouldn't have had to be far down would they......

Much over about 20 metres down and its equilibrium between the sea and bottle content with the strength of the glass containing the outer pressure. So anything getting in would be through the cork, though champoo is famously well corked......

I think I'll go with the thread cynics on this......
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Oh well. I'd better nip down the pier and haul that test crate back up.
                Cheers,
                Dave.

Comment

Some blog ramblings

Comment

LOL

if it comes down to voting, I am with the cynics
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                    X