sugar vs wine sweetner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sugar vs wine sweetner

Which do you guys prefer to use, and if wine sweeter how does this compare to sugar in comparion, eg is 10g sugar same as 10ml sweetner ?

Up to now ive been using sugar, but wondered if benifts of sweetner would be better as not needing to use pot sorbate. Also how long after adding sorbate do you guys wait to bottle, is 24 hrs long enough, to make sure it wont re ferment?

Thanks in advance Richard

They are all different in strength measured against sugar

the label normally tells you

regards
    bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Well as a lot of my back sweetening is with honey, I have to be guided by my hydrometer, using the numbers first then a taste.......
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Ok, I give up. What is "wine sweetener"?

All I've ever used for sweetening is cane sugar or sometimes reserved juice.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          Ok, I give up. What is "wine sweetener"?

All I've ever used for sweetening is cane sugar or sometimes reserved juice.
          I think it's some sort of artificial i.e. non-fermentable sweetener - Bob or one of the other wine boffins should be able to confirm that......
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            What is "wine sweetener"?
            Generally it is a non fermentable sugar solution with added glycerine. Sold over here as Wine Sweetener by Youngs/Ritchies etc.
            Simon
            "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

And what about the pot sorbate is 24 hrs before sweetening enough?

Comment

Originally posted by robbo79 View Post
                And what about the pot sorbate is 24 hrs before sweetening enough?
                As far as I'm aware yes......

I've even added the sulphite, sorbate and then added back sweetening honey straight away before now, with no adverse effect (apparent ones anyway)......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
                  As far as I'm aware yes......

I've even added the sulphite, sorbate and then added back sweetening honey straight away before now, with no adverse effect (apparent ones anyway)......
                  Thanks, Why honey then rather than sugar,,,, can you taste the honey?

Comment

Originally posted by robbo79 View Post
                    Thanks, Why honey then rather than sugar,,,, can you taste the honey?
                    Yes, and because I make mostly meads......

If you want just a neutral sweetness to enhance the sweetness, then I would be using cane sugar (not beet sugar) i.e. T&L, Whitworths or if it's labelled as such from Aldi/Lidl.......

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                    X