Starting a cool ferment white wine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a cool ferment white wine.

What is the correct procedure for starting a white wine which will be fermented at 15C? Should I start it at a higher temperature untill fermentation commences, then reduce to 15C or just start it at 15C?
    Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Starting at 15c will be fine. I would always do a yeast starter though, which you could start a little warmer (but not too much) than that before pitching. What yeast do you plan to use?
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
      Starting at 15c will be fine. I would always do a yeast starter though, which you could start a little warmer (but not too much) than that before pitching. What yeast do you plan to use?
      I will be using gervin GV5. With temp controlled at 15 - 15.3

Another question is at what stage during the cool ferment should I top up the fermentation vessel to prevent oxidation? I will have 15 litres in a 17 litre stock pot sealed and under airlock.

Comment

Originally posted by Abervin View Post
        Should I start it at a higher temperature untill fermentation commences, then reduce to 15C or just start it at 15C?
        That's what I do. Your first priority should be to get fermentation to start. Then you can move it to a cooler location.
        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
          That's what I do. Your first priority should be to get fermentation to start. Then you can move it to a cooler location.
          That was my initial thoughts but I was concerned about crashing the yeasties party with a drop in temperature.

Comment

It shouldn't be a problem. Once fermentation kicks into gear, it would take a fairly severe drop in temperature to put the brakes on.
            Steve

Comment

I started this off at 20c, left it for 24hrs for the yeast to get going fully and it has now been cooled down over night to 15c and it is still bubbling away nicely

Comment

Working...
              X