Heat Tray and PET Bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Tray and PET Bottles

Hi All, is it safe to use a heat tray with pet bottles? My wine making area is my detached and unheated garage, so I would like to use my heat tray. I have only used it once before, last winter, and it gets quite warm. I do have glass dj's, but I read somewhere that another wine maker uses 5ltr pet's, then racks to a dj, and fills it without having to top up. All replies appreciated.
    Dave.

Dunno about PET bottles, theyre quite thin. Maybe check the PET bottle melting point against HDPE, because I use a brew belt on 27 ltr HDPE buckets sometimes as the only noticable damage is smeared paint/ink markings.

Presuming similar melting point of them and the usual belt/tray temp of 24C, likely OK......
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I have just found a science website that said the melting point of pet bottles is 260c, so I should be ok.
      Dave

Comment

Will be AOK. (Does anyone remember boiling water in a paper cup at school?)
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          Will be AOK. (Does anyone remember boiling water in a paper cup at school?)
          Yes, but paper doesn't melt and it needs a hell of a lot more than 24C (give or take a degree or two) to burn/melt.

Whereas, while it's probably fine, it'd be worth keeping an eye on the fermenters while they're being warmed as some plastics do lose some rigidity when warmed up frequently. Of course it's probably nothing but if it's all kept under observation, then the fermenters could easily be removed if there was any heat based mis-shaping of them etc etc......
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks guys, I will give it a try, but will start in the morning, so I can keep an eye on them all day. Cheers, Dave

Comment

Absolutely 1,000,000% agree with John
              it'd be worth keeping an eye on the fermenter .... etc etc......

My understanding was, the physics of the experiment was about the paper conducting the heat into the water. Thus not bursting into flames and wetting your toes.
              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Quick update... I started 4 batches of juice wine on Saturday last, and put them on my heat tray. They fit perfectly, and are fermenting with no problems. Thanks again for all your thoughts on this.

Comment

Working...
                X