Bob's 10% sulphite solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob's 10% sulphite solution

I made up 500ml of bobs sulphite solution for the first time with my potassium metabisulphite and put it in a small plastic bottle.

When I looked at it a few hours later it has lots of strands floating in it.

Is this normal as it looks weird now?

ooooer. No its not normal (least its never done that 'ere)
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I haven't had that before

Give it a good shake to see if it clears

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I have shaken it but its no better. Best way of describing it is it looks like orange juice with bits in, but clear. Wondering if it had a reaction to the plastic bottle or what used to be in the bottle (orange juice). Used up all my powder making up the solution and now it looks unusable, weird.

Comment

Long strands sounds like the result when testing for pectin using meths. Could k-meta do that (assuming there may have been residual orange juice in the bottle)? If the batch is going to be a write off then I would be tempted to try a bit of pectolase just to see, nothing to lose. Sounds like a one for the chemists on site.
          Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Never heard of this happening. Are you absolutely certain it was potassium metabisulphite and not something else? For instance, potassium sorbate or potassium bicarbonate? There are a lot of potassium derivatives used in winemaking and it's not uncommon to occasionally misread a label.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              Never heard of this happening. Are you absolutely certain it was potassium metabisulphite and not something else? For instance, potassium sorbate or potassium bicarbonate? There are a lot of potassium derivatives used in winemaking and it's not uncommon to occasionally misread a label.
              Very good point. I often find my eyesight, coordination and balance failing me in this hobby. Cannot imagine why......
              Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Yes definitely potassium metabisulphite. Blows yer nose off when u sniff it. It had lost its smell when mixed ( if thats normal ). The strands just sank to bottom of bottle about 3/4 high. Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by original mac View Post
                  very good point. I often find my eyesight, coordination and balance failing me in this hobby. Cannot imagine why......
                  lmao
                  Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

photo's ??

It should NOT lose its throat gripping lung churning smell. As anybody at Grapefest can tell you !!

Comment

10% solution placed in a fermenter with lid selaed nearly snapped my neck a year later

it doesnt lose its smell easly or quickly.

try making another batch to test?

regards
                      bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                      X