Storage of equipment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage of equipment.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but here goes. I have my wine and beer making kit scattered about and generally disorganised. I lose things, then find them, then they turn it broken. Obviously this is my own stupid fault and I need to work out how is best to store and look after my gear. So, the question is what do you guys do? Do you have a shed or garage or dedicated room? Is it all kept in a chest or dedicated cupboard? I have a cellar that is damp, perhaps there is some way to get around the damp problem when storing gear? Anyway, let me know what works for you s I can take some ideas with me
    David
    Wine making noob

Half a kitchen cupboard for bits n bond. Pantry for full bottles. Full dj's scattered about the house, empties in the loft. But compared to most folk on here I am fairly small scale...

Comment

Cellar? Is it possible to do something about the damp problem and then turn it into a brewing parlor?

If it is only slight - perhaps a cheap dehumidifier would do the trick. Then fit a simple kitchen unit and stow/use stuff in situ?
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

The photo below is several years old, but it isn't radically different now. This is in my cellar. I have pegboard mounted above the work area (made from inexpensive scrap wooden counter top) for hanging the hangy things and keep the cupboardy things in plastic organizers below.

I also have several steel shelves on wheels, which hold carboys and larger items. The other thing you can't see in the photo is the dehumidifer, which helps pull some moisture out of the air.... as long as I remember to dump out the water receptacle from time to time.

Last edited by NorthernWiner; 30-12-2013, 10:21 PM.
        Steve

Comment

Being a flat dweller, we use 20l and 10l pet bottles stacked inside a Ikea billie case which reside in the bathroom. The fermenter, once finished, gets stored somewhere else. Its clean and the wife approves!

Comment

Originally posted by SpudtheBinx View Post
            Not sure if this is the right place for this thread, but here goes. I have my wine and beer making kit scattered about and generally disorganised. I lose things, then find them, then they turn it broken. Obviously this is my own stupid fault and I need to work out how is best to store and look after my gear. So, the question is what do you guys do? Do you have a shed or garage or dedicated room? Is it all kept in a chest or dedicated cupboard? I have a cellar that is damp, perhaps there is some way to get around the damp problem when storing gear? Anyway, let me know what works for you s I can take some ideas with me
            Fit a dehumidifier and a condensate pump. You should be able to achieve 50-60% Relative humidity fairly easily.

Storage? All my bits are in a youngs cardboard box and have been fine for almost 8 years :-)

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
              I also have several steel shelves on wheels, which hold carboys and larger items. The other thing you can't see in the photo is the dehumidifer, which helps pull some moisture out of the air.... as long as I remember to dump out the water receptacle from time to time.
              Nice setup :-) Fit a condensate pump and forget about it :-)

Comment

Fit a condensate pump and forget about it :-)
                Am I missing something here - what is a condensate pump please
                Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
                  Am I missing something here - what is a condensate pump please
                  Its a small peristaltic pump I think used mainly in condensing boilers to pump to a drain, search on a well known auction site for "condensate pump"
                  Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

Working...
                  X