Newbie confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie confused!

I originally posted this in newbie section but not sure if that's right.... Apologies for posting this twice.

Hi! I hope someone can help? I was told about this forum by the lovely gentleman who kindly gave me some wine making equipment on freecycle or freegle (can't remember which!) and I've fooled his instruction to make elderberry wine but I'm a bit stuck now! This is what I did

Put berries in bucket
    Added900g sugar in hot water
    Topped up to 3.5l with water
    Added a crushed Camden tablet
    Put lid on
    Left 24 hours
    Added a tsp pectolase
    1 tsp yeast compound
    Bit b1 tablet
    Covered with lid
    Left a couple of days (stirred anew times a day)
    Strained out berries
    Put liquid in Demi john and topped up with water
    Put airlock on
    Left for three months

I've just siphoned it into the bucket and added a crushed campden tablet again, tried to check with the hydrometer but it's just sunk to the bottom of the sample tube! I had a slight problem after I originally put the airlock on as it blew off when I was on holiday a few days after and was like that for 2 weeks but when I got home I out it back on and left it. I've tried a bit and it tastes vaguely alcoholic. What do I do? I've been reading books but I'm quite confused!

Update. It definitely tastes of alcohol. I filled the trial jar up to the top and the hydrometer did float. It's reading 0.996. Can I bottle it?

Comment

It's reading 0.996. Can I bottle it?
      Hi Louise,

Welcome to the forum. If the wine is clear and stable (meaning there is no fermentation or other signs of activity) you can bottle it. If it's still dropping sediment, then you'll want to wait.
      Steve

Comment

Hi, thanks. It was clear and stable however when I syphoned it some sediment got in despite my best efforts! I used the syphon from wilkos with the bit on the end which is designed not to let sediment in but there was still a bit of wine left in the bottom so I tilted the Demi john and some sediment got in! It's in bottles now, do you think I could pass it through some muslin cloth to remove it? Should I wait until it's drinkable in a year or two or should I do that now? I really appreciate your help!

Comment

I would suggest you just pour carefully when you open the bottles, and try to leave the sediment behind.
          Steve

Comment

or you can put the wine through a harris filter and re bottle . their quiet cheap to buy

Comment

Working...
            X