Wine storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine storage

I have just bought a 30 bottle Beaverdale Gewurztraminer kit which is supposed to be pretty good. My question is: I haven't opened the box yet but assume that the juice is in a bladder. I have run out of storage containers so was wondering if, once the wine has finished, could I use the bladder to age the wine until I find something better. The wine will eventually go into bottles but need a temporary solution. Or is it better to invest in one of those empty wine boxes? If so, could anyone recommend one? Or are they all much of a muchness?

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian

Welcome to the forum! I'm afraid you can't use the bladder because it is only 7L while the finished product will be 23L. Many people use carboys but any PET will do as long as there isn't too much head space.

Comment

krakowmike is right about the size issue, but you could store 7 litres of wine in the bladder. I used to know some folks who used those bladders all the time. There were quite happy to get a couple of larger ones from me.

I better mention that I believe that they are good for short term storage (ie a couple of months), not longer term.

Steve
      the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
      "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Wash it out well & sterilise.

You might need to be creative in how you get it to close properly again.
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks for all of your replies. I realised how stupid I was in the middle of the night. There was me thinking I could get 23ltrs in a 7ltr container.

Cheers

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            You might need to be creative in how you get it to close properly again.
            I don't know the Beaverdale brand, but the brands that I'm used to have a yellow cap that can be used to re-seal the bladder. As long as you don't wreck the cap while taking it off. You can also get (at least in Canada) caps that work like a dispensing spout.

Here's a link to one.
            Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

Steve
            the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
            "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Working...
            X