Beer keg as a fermenter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer keg as a fermenter.

I can probably google this and get 100 different answers, but I wondered if anyone here has converted a beer keg into a fermenter. It all boils down to the fact I can likely get myself a 50l stainless steel beer keg and not wanting to see things go to waste, I considered making a fermenter. If anyone has converted one, what are the pro and cons? How did you go about it, and what would you do differently?
    David
    Wine making noob

First off.. Beer kegs tend to belong to the breweries check out http://www.kegwatch.co.uk/

if you can get one legally, a stainless one would probably make a fine fermentor. What about a lid though?

Is it really worth it when a £10 ish plastic bucket lasts a fair old while if you are careful not to scratch it internally. (they also have a lid, a handle and stack neatly inside each other while not in use.

I get my wine kits via mail order due to where I live, so every so often ask Karl to send it in a new bucket.

If you were to suggest turning it into a HLT or boiler for beer making now.. that is where the stainless is good (but some people use plastic for that too)

Comment

Oh right, didn't realise that. Some came in from some fly tipping clearance, I guess they Wil be returned then.
      David
      Wine making noob

Comment

Everything Rich said and IMO these are the best all rounder fermenter. Cheaper and better without the tap.

5 gal fermenter.jpg

Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Yes the plastic ones are good, but you can't resist a bit of shiney metal!
          DSC00379.jpg
          Abervin - mouth of the river wine!

Comment

Nice. I agree with that tooo...

braumeister.jpg

.. but I ferment in plastic
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Bunch of show offs

My stainless is wrapped in silver foil to keep the heat in while brewing!

Comment

Yeah, I use a Wilkos 5 gallon, made some IPA before Christmas in it and I agree they are very good. Like I say, I saw these kegs come in and thought they would just be scrapped and I always try to reuse before recycling I like the idea about a boiler for malt.
                David
                Wine making noob

Comment

If you fancy doing all grain brews these could be put to use.
                  There are quite a few articles about making mash tuns and boilers of them.

Comment

Working...
                  X