Coopers 500ml PET Bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coopers 500ml PET Bottles

Hello all. I've just started a Coopers Larger kit and have recently bought a supply of the 500ml PET Bottles.

One thing that encouraged me to get the bottles is that we have a touring caravan and weight can become an issue when loading so I thought the plastic bottles would be better than carrying glass. Bit finicky but that's how my thinking was going when buying them.

So my question is with regard to Wine, I make up a few kits from time to time usually beverdale red.

And touch wood I usually get Drinkable results.

Is there anything that could go wrong with using the same PET Bottles for storing wine. (The ones I have bought are the brown ones) 500ml is probably just a good size for us to have a glass with a meal whilst away in the van.

I'm wondering how long I could store it for in plastic as apposed to the usual glass.
    I'm thinking of graduating to the larger kits the 6 bottle ones are ok but it never lasts long enough to test the theory of ageing.

Best regards to all Brian

I think testing will give you a good answer. But expect 6 months. You can always hold more in bulk in glass and then bottle as required.

Another thought. If you are thinking of transporting beer you need to think about sediment. I solved this with racking as soon as it has finished and then leaving it to mature for 2plus weeks before bottling. The bottle sediment is like paint now! !!
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

You could also consider bag in a box for wine. Very good very simple. Probably lighter in weight!
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
        I think testing will give you a good answer. But expect 6 months. You can always hold more in bulk in glass and then bottle as required.

Another thought. If you are thinking of transporting beer you need to think about sediment. I solved this with racking as soon as it has finished and then leaving it to mature for 2plus weeks before bottling. The bottle sediment is like paint now! !!
        Thank you for your reply.
        I think I will get one of the boxes it's an obvious solution when I think about it. Thank you.

I'm thinking of doing the larger 30 bottle kits from now on. Your suggestion re keeping it in demijohns sounds good. When I have it cleared and at the bottling stage do I need to use air locks on the demijohns or solid bungs for storing.

Thanks again for your reply.

Best regards Brian

Comment

I would always use airlocks. If you are 1m% sure it is stable and in a constant temp then bung... better ..dry locks or safety bungs..

Consider these too as a cheap large storage vessel ( they come with 15l of free water that might be better for kits ) Fonthillspring water - £6 ish

fonthill.jpg
          Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 28-02-2014, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X