E1118 v RC212 the fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E1118 v RC212 the fight

Been making a French rose using a second run from grape skins from red kits and the results have been fabulous. ( Recipe wine no1 but use red Lidl grape juice and 5 gallons plus grape skins from kit then sweeting to emulate a French rose sort of sweetness)
    Except this kit has E1118 in it and I would prefer RC212 as this is what I've used for the last 4 rose. In previous brews I've just used the yeast on the grape skins and not added any. Now in my head i thought i would start off the rose 3 days before adding the grape skins and hope that the RC212 would have developed enough not to be affected by the addition of a small amount of E1118 on the grape skins OR is E1118 one of those killer ones and I'm just going to waste my time?
    Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

I would make a strong starter of RC 212 so that it dominates. E1118 is not a killer variety as far as I know.

using mixed yeast is not unheard of.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

The new Eclipse kuts use two strains for the whites.

Comment

Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
        OR is E1118 one of those killer ones and I'm just going to waste my time?
        EC-1118 is a killer strain. Check out this chart. RC-212 is considered "neutral".

But it may not matter. If the RC-212 is the more well-established colony, the EC-1118 may not have a fighting chance.
        Steve

Comment

Steve,

Well spotted - I never read it like that before. This means many of my regulars are killer strains tooo.

Now look what you've done
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks Steve I'll give it a fighting chance and we're going for 3 days with the Rc212 then add the grape skins. In the end unless the wine tastes remarkably different to the others we just won't know which one won. Results in about 3 months. Any bets?

Comment

The wine does taste different to the others but nice all the same I've not sweetened this as you would a French rose and it has a white Zinfandel sort of taste. So I think we can tell that in the most the fermentation was done largely by the E1118. It's certainly going to be a favorite of the ladies wot do lunch!

Comment

Originally posted by RTPFUN View Post
                ...It's certainly going to be a favorite of the ladies wot do lunch!
                LOL. My wife, who's a hardcore lover of big red wines, would probably consider those "fightin' words"...

One time we were at a winery tasting and the lumpish guy behind the bar (the owner and winemaker) was trying to push a sweet white wine on her, which she clearly was not interested in. She probably would have been a little more polite, had he not looked directly at me while pouring the wine in her glass and added "All the little ladies seem to like this one." I think as soon as the words came out of his mouth, he regretted speaking them. Without even tasting it, she tipped the contents into the dump bucket and gave him the evil eye. "I can tell by your condescending tone that this 'little lady' won't like it", she said, and then turned and walked out of the tasting room. After a couple of awkward seconds, the barman said, "I guess that's explains why I'm a winemaker and not a salesperson." (I didn't have the heart to tell him he wasn't really much of a winemaker, either. They were awful.)
                Steve

Comment

LoL.

Spritzer anyone?
                  Simon
                  "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

Steve translation for you. shall we say ladies wot do lunch in Manchester has much to do about Canal Street and very little to do with girls. Ones gay friends just to be clear and spritzer any one LOL you met some of my friends! heathens! fortunately their whit far exceeds their taste and for that we forgive them.

Comment

LOL. Nice one Steve !

Comment

Working...
                      X