• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First stupid question.

Hi.

I joined the forum recently, after lurking and reading extensively

I bought this http://www.wilko.com/wine-homebrew-k...T=wine%20glass

and equipment from Wilko.

I followed the instructions and used brewing sugar and distilled water, to give it the best possible chance of turning out reasonable. As far as my limited knowledge allowed.

It has now been "bubbling " for 12 days and shows no sign of slowing down. I am getting a large bubble every 5-7 seconds.

Shall I let continue till it slows down ?

I would do exactly as the instructions explain to do. Most wine ferments take about 14 days to complete depending on temperature.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

The instruction said it should ferment in 7 days, but maybe it's not quite as warm as I think.

Comment

Visual signs of fermentation are often misleading. Take a hydrometer reading when you get the same reading three days in a row you will have a finished ferment.
        http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

2nd what RJB said.

The biggest lesson in fermenting is patience - its done when it done.

Yeast can't read so they didn't know they only had 7 days
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

OK, thanks guys, I guess I am just impatient.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard Green View Post
              OK, thanks guys, I guess I am just impatient.
              If you really need to learn wine/beer making patience, make some mead......

You could be lucky if you mixed it right - ferment in 14 to 21 days.....

or you could go the "show" route. Water honey and yeast....... and have it finish in 6 to 9 months
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

All I can do is back up what everyone else has said ... be patient. Or, as bob always used to say to me ... 'patience, young Jedi'
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

I checked the sg and it's well under 1 so added the stabiliser and finings and have to wait an hour before adding finings b.

Does it need sealed up airtight again. The instructions don't say.

I had a taste, and it was almost "nice", have a little buzz behind my ears now.

I will leave the next one longer, promise.

Comment

Was the hydrometer reading the same across several days?
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                      Was the hydrometer reading the same across several days?
                      I just took it today.

Saturday afternoon needed something to do

Comment

Patience required.. And reading your hydrometer several days in a row as stated above.

Sat afternoon things to do, should be make some more

Also, why use distilled water? if the water is safe and nice to drink it should be fine to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post

Also, why use distilled water?
                          Tap water contains god knows what, distilled water contains water.

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard Green View Post
                            Tap water contains god knows what, distilled water contains water.
                            Distilled water (to me at least) tastes flat and tasteless. Doesn't seem like the right thing to re-hydrate your kit. Personally I use Reverse Osmosis water. It's what I normally drink (when I drink water).

Based on my observations, few people use distilled water.

Steve
                            the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
                            "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

Distilled water
                              If you have drinkable water use it. You can look up your local water authority and get a report into the water online.

Drinking water is generally better than distilled & reverse osmosis (RO) because of the trace elements and minerals in it.

The one thing that we do not want however is chlorine. So either let it stand overnight before using - leave it in a glass jar in the sun for one hour - boil & cool, before use or filter it.

If your water is rock hard (mine is) simmer for 20 minutes and rack the next day. You will be amazed at the amount of temporary hardness that sets like sand on the bottom of your boiler

If you want to test it yourself (i do) buy some of the 8 in 1 test kits fish keepers use - eBay.

Finally fermentation is a natural sterilisation process.
                              Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Working...
                              X