SO2/Acid in Apple Pulp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO2/Acid in Apple Pulp

I like the idea of having a go at some apple wine this year, from fresh fruit not juice. I think I can get my hands on enough to make a dozen gallons and was working this in to my storage plans when I realised that none of the recipes I have seen discuss the question of sulphite during the pre-ferment stage.
    Now whenever I cut open an apple it starts turning brown pretty rapidly unless dunked in lemon juice or sulphite. So if I've got to prepare a large batch of windfalls, how do I stop them discolouring?
    I was planning to chop the apples and then cold soak with pectic enzyme for 24 hrs before pitching the yeast. I suppose I could chop them straight into a fermenting bucket with a gallon or so of water with sulphite and lemon juice, but how do I calculate how much to use?
    I'd be interested to know what has worked for any one else on here?
    MTIA.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

My preferred method for apples is juice them first the pulp is a way too large a volume to fit in most fermenters you are talking 15-16 lbs per US Gallon of apples. I then add a few more at the end and shred them put the shredded material into a hop sock and punch that daily. I have found this is easier and the results are very good. The wine is easier to rack the ferment is cleaner all the body and flavor is there as well. I add my sulfite into the juice as I make it. Add your pectic enzyme and acid blend tannin nutrients ,sugar etc into the fermenting bucket with the right amount of water in it then add my juice and hop sock of pulp after everything is well mixed, allow to sit for 24 hrs and inoculate my yeast.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Ok so this is about wine, not cider........ but.......

if you look up the differences between Kentish/West Country method and Normandy method,
      why bother with sulphite or acid ?.

yes the browning is oxidation but some colouration while you're scratting/milling/pulping, should give you some decent colour in the juice while you're waiting to press the pulp, before adding the water and pitching etc....
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Pulping is OK. If you have a press FREEZING is miraculous.
        All you need to do is freeze solid. Good a couple of days, and the cells of the fruit will be ruptured. Thaw out thoroughly. The fruit remains whole. Tip into press - the runnings will be a lovely golden apple juice and clear as a bell.

A little elderberry concentrate makes a smashing white wine. OR rush outside now and collect some elderberry flowers!!
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Freezing/pressing sounds like a plan! At what stage do you add sulphite? I suppose the frozen fruit won't need any if its still whole. Just add some to the pressed juice is it?

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
          A little elderberry concentrate makes a smashing white wine.
          Quč!!! White Wine!!! Cellar Rat!!!
          Cheers,
          Dave.

Comment

Quč!!! White Wine!!! Cellar Rat!!!
            no for me! yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuk. Strictly made to order. Ending up giving loads away to make room last year.

I add the sulphite AFTER fermentation. Get a starter going - first job on press day.
            After pressing bring it upto temp in a saucepan - match temp - pitch. Bingo.
            Think about adding the eldeflowers late on (as the ferm slows down) on to keep the most of the nose.
            If you are thinking of doing this later in the year (when apples abound) NOW is the time to get some elderflowers !! wash/pat dry freeze.
            Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Thanks Brian,

I was planning to try Gerry Fowles suggestion of steeping fresh elderflowers in vodka for 24 hours and adding a little of that to the finished wine, but it looks like the Memsahib has got to the vodka before me! So it's a visit to the off-licence after work.
              Cheers,
              Dave.

Comment

Working...
              X