Storing in a bag, in a box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing in a bag, in a box

I started off my second batch yesterday.

I took the sg 1075 and will let this one go till I get the same reading three days running.

Since I will have enough of my previous batch to keep me going, I am thinking of putting some of this into a 20l bag.

Should I squeeze out all the air or leave some, if the latter, how much.?

All the air. And perhaps an extra pinch of sulphite.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
      All the air. And perhaps an extra pinch of sulphite.
      tx

Comment

Just had a thought...

have you got a pic of the bag - or even an image from google?
        Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

have you got a pic of the bag - or even an image from google?

10l bag 9th item down from top.

Comment

The reason I asked was to investigate the bag. These are not silvered - if you take a wine box apart you will see the bag is shiny. If not silver the wine does oxygenate quite quickly. do not rely on this for long term storage. It is really important to keep this wine cool - this will also slow down oxygenation dramatically. If you can, get it in the fridge.

By the way, thank you for the link - Vitop Connectors - Brilliant find thank you. I reuse my bag in boxes - these will make an excellent refiller

Comment

do not rely on this for long term storage. It is really important to keep this wine cool - this will also slow down oxygenation dramatically. If you can, get it in the fridge.
              I won't be able to get it refrigerated, Do you think it would be ok in an unheated spare room for two or three months.?

Comment

If the wine is very young Yes. 2-3 months would probably be max. taste it as you go.

Make sure it is stable ! I have known of bags bursting

Just to put in perspective I used 25 L HDPE jerry cans (see link) for 10 - 12 weeks to bring wine on quicker. These are more or less the same material HDPE - but the bag is a bit thinner.

An extra pinch of sulphite won't go amiss

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25L-Plasti...-/140797296108.

PET storage is generally a bit better (pop bottle plastic) because it does not allow as much air to permeate.

There is a brilliant link on here somewhere detailing the tests and trials of some 20 L PET.

Red or white wine ?

Comment

Red or white wine ?
                  Red

Would these do.?

Comment

Althought these say 25 litre some are 'just' some are near 30l

Here is the original thread http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/s...hlight=bottles
                    Well worth a read.

Here is the link from it http://innocan.eu/pdf/Innocan-EN_Fiches-20L.pdf

Comment

Working...
                    X