Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine to vinegar conversion question

I am fermenting a to make into vinegar.

Does anybody know the conversion rate of %alcohol to %acetic acid.

I.e. if I ferment a 7%. Wine after the acetobacter fermentation will I have a 7% acid vinegar.

Last year I vinegared an 11% Alc Seyval and it was OK, but needed to be watered down. It was almost sulphuric in its strength.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
    I am fermenting a to make into vinegar.
    Parsnip?

And yes I agree with you - it is a 1 to 1 relationship I believe. The evidence: Though I have only made vinegar once, I did water the wine down to about 6% with filtered water and I never got drunk on the vinegar. Though its a bit of an old page I used this as my reference. http://www.dreiburgen.org/articles/vinegar.html
    Maybe one of the scientists could prove it.

I wasn't overly impressed with the results. There is probably some skill and practice involved.
    Simon
    "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

cucumber !

There is probably some skill and practice involved.
      I know what you mean - This is my second go....

For the record. It has been 'on skins' for 3 days and then stained. 4lb cucumber / 1 gallon / bread yeast / 750g sugar. Going well. Very aware that cucumber is the melon family (you can smell it) and they have a tendancy to get away (rot).
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I think it is 1:1 also. I've always found that my Richies Acid Test kit shows a drop (from say 7%ABV to 5.8% acid) but i think that is because the acetic acid needs to be converted from the sulphuric base of the kit. Something one of our resident chemists might confirm. Always v pleased with the cider vinegar that comes straight from supermarket apple-juice and champagne yeast. The mother has been the big problem - I've now given up on all other brands and get the (ridiculously expensive) Braggs as a starter when the old culture fails to get things going.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

Thanks Chaps

Comment

Working...
          X