Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Observations

Hi all,

1. When I used to make wine ( a very very long time ago!) I never de -gassed wine at all, cos I didn't need to !!
    Now I need to, a lot !

2. Just read "Award Winning Wines" by Bill Smith,
    A cracking good read, and I'm all fired up to try some of them.
    BUT, unless I missed it, he has no mention at all, of de-gassing

So, am I missing something here ???

Ian McDonald

Ian,

I could be flippant here and say this has been caused by the Internet - we want everything in a rush.

There are two schools of thought on this one. some do, some don't. I believe the big issue is "time to glass". Degassing is a natural phenomena that occurs with the seasons. If you make your wine in September in the warm (good for fermentation), rack it in November & January in the cool (good to minimise oxygen uptake). In March as the ambient temperature rises, the wine will give up its excess gas and settle at about 800 mg/L - ready for bottling.

Other things that also affect it size and shape of storage vessels and type of racking (pumped – gravity – vacuum )

If you want wine ready in a hurry - then probably it will need to be degassed. Kits appear to need degassing, more than grape wines or indeed country wines (again, I think this is time to glass)

This is a popular subject and has had much "air time" in the past.
    Last edited by Cellar_Rat; 08-09-2014, 08:13 AM.
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

de-gass ?

I made a 2 x 5 gallon brew last autumn.
      The bramble didn't need degassing, and it is splendid plonk !
      The elderberry wasn't degassed, and now is verry fizzy. Still nice, but fizzy !
      Another 1 gallon brew of elderberry wes not de-gassed, but isreally georgeus ! No fizz !

I still have plenty left to drink, so I think I'll leave in demijohns till spring.
      Should I leave them stoppered or with a bubbler ?

Just re-read "Award Winning Wines" and there is definitely no mention of de-gassing, but his wines do get longer maturing.

Ian McDonald

p.s. going off on hloiday for a week of sunshine !!
      Back on 18th.

Comment

Always seems to be that way. Elderberry seems to need degassing without fail.

With a bubbler or safety cork. Not a bung.

Echo the comments about time - except with Elderberry.
        Simon
        "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

elderberry

Originally posted by SiSandrine View Post
          Always seems to be that way. Elderberry seems to need degassing without fail.

With a bubbler or safety cork. Not a bung.

Echo the comments about time - except with Elderberry.

Have to say the last years Elderberry is making ne proud !

Comment

Working...
          X