Wine alcohol tester

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine alcohol tester

This is kinda odd to me because being mainly a beer brewer, I had never hear of one of these. Do you guys use them? How do they work?
    The picture I saw of one on ebay looked like a small, thin glass tube with a cup on the top of it. How does this work on wine and why dont people use it for beer if its soo easy???
    Thanxx

This device is known as a vinometer.

It is reasonably accurate when used with a full dry wine. It works through capillary action. You fill the cup with wine, and allow it to run through the tube. When it starts to drip out the bottom, you invert the device and take the reading where the wine is in the tube.

If it is used with a sweet wine, the viscosity of the wine is notably higher. This results in an incorrect reading in the capillary tube.

I don't think it would work for beer, because beer is full of material that makes the viscosity incorrect for this type of tool.

If you should ever buy one, (I don't recommend it) you will find that it is very hard to clean out properly. Any residue inside the tube will cause an incorrect reading.

Pat

Pat

Comment

I have read elsewhere on this forum that these things are a waste of time and money. I think the best alcohol tester is to drink the wine. If you fall down after a couple of glasses - it's a high alcohol wine!
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Best bet is to use your hydrometer to track specific gravities and measure alcohol content that way.........much easier and I'm pretty sure more accurate

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Well i disagree Bob, I much prefer Mamgi's way of thinking shame i cant enjoy a drink or two during the festivites...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Comment

Yeah the whole try it and stand method sounds pretty fun, though I am already acustomed to using the hydrometer so I spose Ill continue doing that... Thanx for the input, as it sounded too good to be true anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVID View Post
              shame i cant enjoy a drink or two during the festivites...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
              how about we get together as soon as you are allowed and do something about that?
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Well my expertise is small I must admit, but I will add to this thread,VINOMETERS are a waste of money unless your wine is dry and stabalised, airbubbles cause havoc and are near impossible to clear, sweetened wines read falsly and they're a real bummer to clean, and again read falsly if not 100% dry(the vonometer inside that is). Not expensive but I could have spent the money on a new pair of underpants. .Stick to the hydrometer and sg - fg readings their are many charts on the net and CJJ Berry's books that will translate them to an accurate % alc..
                Last edited by Duffbeer; 09-01-2007, 11:59 PM. Reason: Drunken typing errors
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I agree. I also need new whiteytighties.
                  REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                    Stick to the hydrometer and sg - fg readings their are many charts on the net and CJJ Berry's books that will translate them to an accurate % alc..
                    You will also find a chart for %alc here

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                    X