to cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to cold?

I started a 3-gal. batch of rose hip wine. It is fermenting like crazy but the smell is giving my wife a headache with her allergies. I've moved it out the garage, covered with the lid and a towel. The temps are nearing 32 at night but I'm sure not that inside the walls. Bad idea? any precautions?

I did one gallon of rose hip last year, and opened one of those "oh so rare" bottles and it was just gorgeous. I tried a glass along side a glass of Vouvray and the rose hip was actually smoother, less acid.

Comments please on dropping temps? It has been fermenting since Sunday.

Paul

It will likely be too cold in the garage for a good fermentation, if at all. Is she actually allergic to the odor of fermentation? I have never heard of that. Do you have an electric blanket or throw, or a heating pad? You can try that.
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

brewbelt

Comment

Get one of those electric seed propogaters, they're not very expensive. Lay some newspaper inside and place the dj on that. They don't get too hot but the paper's there to protect just in case. Wrap in a towel and carry on as normal. It works for me.

BTW, the one I've got will take 6 DJs but you can get smaller ones.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

yup brewbelt or heat pad, then you won't lay awake through the night worrying.

cheers
          Bob
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Either brew belt or heat pad providing there's some leccy int garage should suffice, but like Glenvall already stated, it seems strange to have a dislike to the fermentation odour if there's been previous ferments taken place.

Comment

Bugger, toooooooooooo slow once more *makes note to one-self, must learn to type quicker*

Comment

Lol
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

compromise

I moved the barrel into the downstairs powder room, I can turn the fan on in there and we spend more time upstairs anyway. Is there a way to determine if the ferment died or stuck, or is time the only measure.

Paul

Comment

Take a hydrometer reading everyday. If the SG is falling, you have fermentation. If it is the same after 2-3 days, it is stuck, or never started.
                    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I just Noticed This On a newsletter From EC Krause
                      They keep it simple, and I Know most of the info,
                      but This goes to show Good tips are every. where --
                      even the places where they keep it simple Trying not Intiminate New vintners.
                      *WINE MAKING QUICK TIP*

- Cooler weather is coming upon us now. Time to watch your
                      fermentation temperatures and make sure that the cooler air is
                      not playing games with your yeast's ability to ferment.

You want your fermentation temperature to be at least 70 degrees
                      - 72 would be better - but not more than 78. Temperatures that
                      are cooler than this may cause the fermentation to come to a halt
                      before it has finished the job; temperatures warmer than this can
                      produce alcohol with unwanted off-flavors.

One easy way to warm up your vessels during the cooler months is
                      to use an old lamp with 100 watt light bulb. If you place the
                      bulb 12 inches off to the side of a 5 gallon batch, it will warm
                      the liquid's temperature by about 8 to 10 degrees. Wrap the
                      vessel with a towel to protect the wine from the excessive light
                      the bulb causes. If 8 or 10 degrees is too much of an increase,
                      just back off the bulb another 4 or 5 inches away from your
                      fermentation vessel.
                      http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

Thanks for that jls

good tip
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                        X